Hydra/Tool shear

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

MikeC

Hydra/Tool shear

Post by MikeC »

Anybody heard of this brand? Model 500-12AHC Got a possible donation to the museum and just looking for info. This is apparently a real beast, 10ft or so long with a capacity of 3/8" in MILD STEEL :shock: . It would definitely be overkill for us in terms of thickness capacity, but we can sure use the length.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Is that crickets I hear? lol.

Got a bit more on this thing yesterday. Seems the company was bought by Pacific something or another. The guy giving it to us actualyl talked to teh son of the original designer. It's a 12ft heavy duty and is capable of not 3/8 plate, but 3/4! It's WAAAAYYYY bigger than anything we really need, but it's free. I figure it'll cut .032 aluminum just as well as 1/4" plate. We can either use it or trade it for a lighter machine.

Anybody need a REAL serious shear?
Ries

Post by Ries »

I'm a guessing the Pacific that bought the company is these guys-
http://www.pacific-press.com/history.htm
So they may know something about it.

Be forewarned that a shear that big, 3/4" x 10', is gonna be a beast.
Probably weigh in the vicinity of 35,000 lbs.
Depending on age, it may need a pit dug- a lot of the big boys extend down below the floor, and need custom footings.

If you are shearing gage thickness up to .125 aluminum for airplane resto, this could be a bit of overkill. And considering the moving expense, wiring and electrical consumption issues, (not uncommon for it to have a 40hp motor) and the cost of every part on a machine that big, you might try to swing a trade before you move it.

I would call some of the big machinery dealers that deal in shears, and ask if you could trade for a 3/16" x 10 that is probably nominally worth less, straight across.

check out some of the guys who advertise at machinetools.com, and see if any will bite.