metallic furnace duct tape-where to buy?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

schemer

metallic furnace duct tape-where to buy?

Post by schemer »

I haven't seen this stuff for a while and I'll be it isn't cheap but I remember it being very tough and about impossible to remove. Does anybody know where to get this stuff and also, what is its proper name? I am not looking for regular duct tape, but the stuff that looks like it may be in fact made out of metal.
Thanks,
Dave

Oops! I found it. Its called flue tape and good up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Another metal tape is what I generally call "trailer tape". It is used in the trucking industry for temporary fixes on holes in semi-trailers. Only difference between that and what your talking about, is the rubberized coating/sticky stuff that makes this stuff so good (and also expensive).
David from jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
schemer

Post by schemer »

Thanks for the info. I need mine for high temps though. Where do you buy "trailer tape"?
Dave
I guess I should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
david5605

Post by david5605 »

Dave, check at the local Lowes or Home Depot. My local Lowes stocks a metallic tape. It may be in the section with the furnace duct fittings.
schemer

Post by schemer »

David,
I always check the local stores first and even drive to the next nearest town. No luck. Lowes has some metallic tape but not 3M and no bragging about its temperature rating. Home depot has the same stuff. I ended up ordering some from acehardwareoutlet as I have dealt with them before and they have good prices as compared to the local ace hardware.
Thanks,
Dave
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Been a while, sorry for missing the question.
Trailer repair places, such as Great Dane and the other manufacturers should stock the rubberized tape. Last I purchased, in 2002 was about $27 a roll, which is about six inches thick, and four inches wide. Problem with that, it as thick as the tape is, you don't get many linear feet from a roll.
David from jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

I would try Fastental. They should have a storefront fairly close.
schemer

Post by schemer »

That project has been finished weeks ago where I needed the tape but thanks for the followups just the same. :P
schemer