Nut plates in aluminum

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Vern2

Nut plates in aluminum

Post by Vern2 »

Need to hold 3/8" steel hex or square nut in aluminum. Need 24 each in 2" angle, 1/8" aluminum. I have equipment to weld aluminum and also a 12 ton shop press. I thought I'd like to build punch die. Then hold in place by welding an aluminum something over, around...

Vern
Last edited by Vern2 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Can you use Rivnuts? They're like pop rivets, but have a captive nut in them.

Used a lot in the aerospace industry, so you know the quality is good.

Steve
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

The nut plate is to stop two square tubes from sliding past one another. I have no clearance for Rivnuts. The steel nut will be on the outside of the 1/8" thick aluminum tubing. The nut can't fall in, only fall out.

3/8" hex nut is 3/16" thick, but wider then 1/2". Was looking at caping the nut with channel aluminum. What about cutting down 1" channel. Drilling 3/8 hole in top for bolt to pass through. Weld on eather side.

I'm waiting on a new tool. for this project. Spoolgun and inverter type mig welder. The welders are on backorder in southern Calif from Miller. Found one in little town of SierraVista, Az. Will be in Phx friday. Spoolgun should showup also. Got my argon.

Select home projects:
http://www.enichesoftware.com

Vern
calgator

Post by calgator »

Vern,

Looking at your website on fence install it reminds me of the property we had in Gilbert, AZ with the irrigation canal in the back. I still remember the first time we paid for the irrigation and it never showed in the canal, we called and they said “well, you got to go fetch your water” What am I suppose to hook up Bessie and get the milk jugs.
:lol:
The best times were behind one of Al's engines
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Found some 3/4" aluminum channel. The nut plates are going to look good.
Just as soon as I get the new welder and my aluminum welding down a little better. I'm blaming the welder right now. Took my whole set up back to the welding shop, spoolgun and all. I told them to show me what it can do. They'll call the Miller rep to get to the bottom of my problem? I'm thinking it's there problem thu.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Ended up being the spool gun. I took my setup to a welding shop and at there hourly rate they couldn't weld aluminum either. There service trucks had the same kind of welder that I had bought. They put one of there spool guns on it. It welded great. I did get another gun from Miller. I finished my aluminum project.

Vern
ken572

Re: Nut plates in aluminum

Post by ken572 »

Hello Vern,
I was wondering why you don't just use riv-nuts??
If you press a recess in at every hole before you put the riv-nut in you would still have your
one side that is flat/flush.
Just food for thought. :D
Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
maxandgrinch

Post by maxandgrinch »

What about pem nuts?

They make both studs and nuts that are pressed in and captive, as well as floating nuts for those of us who can't sometimes make stuff that aligns.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Hay, been away for a while, but I'm still kicking.

The nut plates worked out great. I used some 3/4" and 1/2" aluminum channel. Drilled a 9/16" hole through channel and square tubing. Welded them up, made perfect nut plates. I have to get a picture up. I made up about 24 of the contraptions to adjust my solar panels, they have worked for years.