Which direction to bend sheet metal?

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dave_C

Re: Which direction to bend sheet metal?

Post by Dave_C »

Vern2,

A Pan or a Box brake does have limits of depth for boxes being made depending on the size of the brake. All the ones I worked on could do all four sides if set up properly without bending the turned up edges.

Your last drawing would be simple to make on a pan brake but will crush one lip on the final bend no mater how you go at it if made on a regular brake.

In order fix what gets bent, just take a pair of hand formers and straighten the bent lip. Once the crease is made in the metal it is easy to bend back up.

Where the challenge comes in is when trying to make something that is not square as in the drawing in your first post. It is easier with a pan brake as you can move the "fingers" so they don't crush one of the edges allready bent upward. Not so easy with a straight brake.

I'm sure you are aware of the software that is out there now that will show you the best way to lay out the sheet and how to bend it. If not, just do a search for it and have fun!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Thanks Dave C,

I did not know about that software, I'll look for it.

Last night there was little to no light trying to cut out my 16" x 20" sacrificed piece of 18 gage. That's thick stuff. With an auto trouble light, that sucks. The new shears refused to cut more then about 1". Finally went back to my only 5 star HF tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-s ... 92148.html I just started to adjust it my way without the book, this time. I was surprised I got it working. This morning I took the non working shears back and pickup a dual 500 watt Helogen light with stand. Tonight I'll be bending it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I hope you have better luck with those halogen lamps than I have. I've had no end to lamp failures---caused by several reasons, including the heat at which they operate. Seems to oxidize the contacts, so they eventually make poor contact, raising the temperature even more. I've also had the misfortune to bump the lamp while it's lit. An instant short of the coils, putting a rapid end to its life. I've turned to using a four lamp 48" fluorescent light fixture with a wooden frame----which I can locate to best advantage for the task at hand. The only problem I've had with that fixture is when I tipped it over and broke two of the lamps. All in all, a much more desirable lighting fixture, without the extreme heat.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Harold,
Found that to be true. If you don't touch them period, they seem to last a little longer. Got a hand full of bulbs at $2 each, not too bad a price. I know out door use only, unless winter time, nice heat. I'm sure you know me better then anyone here. I seem to go to the extremes, when the price isn't to far out of bounds.

Looking at my drawing last night, in the dark, light not put together yet, I could not scale it up the tool caddy that is and stay below 20" of length. So back to the drawing board for a better drawing, I can use, that will fit the sheet metal I cut, 16" x 20". I had to beat it up a little, the edges were a little curly.

This air tool, for cutting sheet metal got returned for the lights. The air tool only got 1" long cut out of it. I kept raising air pressure. 70 ... 80 ... 90 ...100 ... 120 ... 130 ..., no workie.

These lathe tools are for the new tool caddy.

This is what I've got to work with. That's where it got left last night.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

This is still on the project list. I really have to be able to figure my angles. Bought this tool to help.
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-823 ... Protractor