Pexto Ring and Circle Cutter

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DonZab

Pexto Ring and Circle Cutter

Post by DonZab »

I just scraped enough money to buy a PEXTO ring and circle cutter model 298-3 serial number 43 on eBay. The slipping rolls are worn and leave a burr on the cuts. I called Roper Whitey and they no longer make replacement slitting roll for this circle cutter and the rolls for the RW 299, their current ring and circle cutter will not work. Any suggestions on where I could get replacement rolls? Also is the lower roll left hand thread. RW said try a job shopper to machine new rolls but this seems very expensive. Any suggestions on this? :(
DonZab

Re: Pexto Ring and Circle Cutter

Post by DonZab »

When dealing with a bureaucracy asking the same question twice often results in different answers and in this case that was true. My second call to Roper Whitney revealed there was a high probability that the slitting roll from a newer ring and circle cutter (299) would fit an older vintage ring and circle cutter (298); providing the threads to attach the slitters to the shafts were the same, which they were (on very early models they were different). Problem solved! :D
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Interesting. Sometimes the answer may be diferent with another person within the company.

Sometimes cutters and shear parts can be given new life by adding shims or polishing worn edges to reduce the wear marks, usually a rounding of the cutting surface, that causes the shearing action.

Good luck.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
DonZab

Post by DonZab »

Dave,
Thanks for your suggestion.
Don
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

I have the 299 circle cutter, a couple of things that can cause the problem you mentioned, one is dull cutters, if you have a lathe and toolpost grinder or have a friend with one a clean up pass will do wonders for the cutters. Second is the cutter adjustment, they will adjust a little to shear different gauges of metal. The setting (gap) ???? you might see if some one at Roper-Whitney can give you that info, (3 thousands come to mind but not a 100% sure) also check for run out (slop) in the cutter shafts. Good luck with your machine! tt :wink:
clueless near st.louis