Repairing a Kennedy Toolbox lid

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jmarkwolf

Repairing a Kennedy Toolbox lid

Post by jmarkwolf »

I bought some Kennedy toolboxes to help organize my shop.

All are in pretty good shape, but one has a moderate "crease" in the front edge of the lid, the result of crushing from above (probably another toolbox stacked).

Don't know anything about sheetmetal work. Can anyone describe how I might "fix" this crease?

Bumping it back with a hammer will certainly check the paint. Is this the practical approach? I know Kennedy sells paint for their boxes.
ken572

Re: Repairing a Kennedy Toolbox lid

Post by ken572 »

jmarkwolf,

Bumping will work if and when you back it up
with some kind of metal dolly's, when useing
a body type hammer.

Another thing I do on some crease's is to use
a #1 or #2 Oxy.Acet. tip, and on the under side
of the crease, draw a line in the crease to almost
dark cherry, and remove and let it cool. Most
often it will help shrink it back. Then use your
body dollys and hammer. light grind, sand, fill etc.,
prime and paint.

The big thing is to take your time, don't rush and
it will turn out nice. I hope this helps you. :wink:

Have fun.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
steamin10

Re: Repairing a Kennedy Toolbox lid

Post by steamin10 »

If the crease extends into a round corner, using a smaller diameter pipe than the radias will allow you to smack the pipie and help drive the crease out unfolding it. If you use a sand bag for backup, it works much easier, supporting the sheet metal, and only pushing the wrinkle.

careful use of a ball on a peening hammer being tapped with another can gently work out the last of the crease. the biggest problem is stretch that will cause waves and uneven surface. On thinner metals simply rubbing across the crease will flatten it.

This is finesse, and not neanderthal metal beating, we leave that for Blacksmiths.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.