Old Whitney Punch Press on CL

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Old Whitney Punch Press on CL

Post by Wanna-Be »

I was just cruising CL looking for a deal on a sheet metal brake and came across this old Whitney Punch Press.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/3723576370.html

The seller is calling it a "hydrualic" but it is obviously mechancial with flywheel. \
I am mildly interested in it since it would be useful in some metal fabrications stuff, if I can find punch dies for it.
I have sent the seller an email asking for a machine model number.

Just thought you all might be interested in another old machine. Better in someones shop than on the scrap heap.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
steamin10

Re: Old Whitney Punch Press on CL

Post by steamin10 »

I have a 12 ton punch press sitting in the rain. I bought it on E-bay for $50. Three phase of course. Floor model, where this thing is a bench model with a made base or stand.

Industrial strength machines come to light all the time. Mostly common people dont want them. They are heavy, a pain to move, but if you can find a use for them, they are hard to beat. $750 to me, is a lot of money for a small machine that may be ready for scrap. It was no doubt replaced by a machine that is more automated and makes more money for the real estate footage it occupies. Automated punch presses can now think for themselves. You put in a sheet and it punches, cuts, shapes, and spits out a semifinshed flat panel, like an aircraft instrument panel, in only a coupla minutes. This 'old' technology is now being replaced by lazer , abrasive jet, and plasma tables, to do the same work. Leaves our little press in a small working box dont it.

That little press makes one hole, with an operator, hope he can see the linup.

Common punch and die sets for small presses are pretty much universal, and available through many suppliers. Little guys like us can shop on E-bay and get a good collection going in a month, both used and new.

Overall, can you use this thing? So dont pay too much for the whistle. A punched hole is not a drilled hole, but a fancy drill press can be $750, and be of more service in the common shop.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Wanna-Be

Re: Old Whitney Punch Press on CL

Post by Wanna-Be »

I agree, this machine is over priced and dated for production work. But like all my machines, nothing fancy or automated, seldom used and take up space. Primarily I use my Rockwell lathe and Jet Milling machine.
My attatude is that if a machine is interesting, cheap enough (scrap price or free) and I can find room for it, I would love to have it for the sake of Novelty or "Hey Guys", I got one of those. Unfortunately my Signature line filled up long ago and my 2500 sq/ft shop is so full I can't get to some machines to use them.

That said:
This looks like a Whitney Jensen Gap Frame Punch Press, (maybe) Mod AR150 10ton circa 1967. This same/similar model is listed on ebay
item #320859232616.
The one on Craiglist seem to be missing the large hand wheel on the front of the shaft, above the punch ram that is a special Whitney feature on this model to allow the punch to be manually positioned on the work piece before the drive is tripped. However, this feature may have been an option and the CL model may or may not have had it originally.

Just my observations and conparision of these two machines.

Steve.
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker