Homemade Grinder Cover ???

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Homemade Grinder Cover ???

Post by kroll »

Good afternoon guys,well I pickup an old Dayton 8" grinder that is missing the outside covers for the wheels.Finding another set,well I stand a better chance of winning the lotto so I though I would just make some covers out of maybe 16ga or maybe something alittle thicker.Now if the covers would fit being just flat there would be no problem but the 3/4 shaft sticks out bout 1" so like other covers I see there is a dome that allows alittle extra room.I have no equipment for making the dome other than having a torch,heating and stretching the metal but I was wondering if these domes could be purchase pre-made?I know that I could just drill a big enough hole to allow the shaft to fit through but I want it to look nice in the end.Any ideals on a solution or links to a place that sells domes that I could mig weld together.Thanks for any help-----kroll
SteveM

Re: Homemade Grinder Cover ???

Post by SteveM »

If it's just the shaft of the nut that sticks out, make a flat cover and drill a hole in it.

And keep your fingers away from it!

Steve
ken572

Post by ken572 »

04-07-2014 Welcome To The Home Shop Machinist
- - -
Hello :!: kroll :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDYto help the
next member, to read and learn from.
NOTE: Pictures are alway’s VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
chooch

Post by chooch »

A little late reading this but--Why not get a PVC pipe cap extra large enough to cover what you want to. You might make small metal angles, Pop rivet them to the cap and then "screw" the angle to the Flat guard you make. Screwing the Cap to the guard will allow quick removal and access to the nut on the shaft.
This thought is because sometimes you might be able to get to the nut to hold it while you loosen / tighten the Other side for wheel change, adjustment or something or some other problem??
Jes` thinkin`.
chooch
kroll

Post by kroll »

Good ideal on the pvc,that is giving me some ideals along with yours.Thanks
chooch

Post by chooch »

kroll wrote:Good ideal on the pvc,that is giving me some ideals along with yours. Thanks
Glad it helps. If you don`t tell anyone, I`ve been using my bench grinderfor years with NO--do as I say, not as I do. :roll:
chooch
shorttrackhack

Post by shorttrackhack »

Steel freeze plugs work great for this kind of thing, and come in many sizes...
chooch

Post by chooch »

shorttrackhack wrote:Steel freeze plugs work great for this kind of thing, and come in many sizes...
Just a very short comment? No location where to get the plugs, what are they, Auto or for other type use. How to use / fasten them, reference to another post or What!!

chooch
shorttrackhack

Post by shorttrackhack »

Steel freeze plugs are available at any auto parts store, and come in two main styles, 'standard' and 'cup'. These are the round plugs found on the outside of engine blocks and some cylinder heads (like Fords). One thing to remember, when welding the plugs, strip the zinc coating from the steel, I use muriatic acid to soak them for about 15 minutes, and rinse well with water after. Freeze plugs are also readily available in brass.
shorttrackhack

Post by shorttrackhack »

Here are some of the cup style freeze plugs, in brass and steel from a small block Chevy rebuild kit. I seem to be out of the standard style ones, they do not have the edge around the outside...
Attachments
Cup style freeze plugs
Cup style freeze plugs
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I dapped a sheet of metal for the cup, over a hole in a 2x6. Use the ball of a peen hammer and tap it out to stretch the metal.

Anther solution is to use the cover from the bearings on a trailer hub, and just drill a hole, (trepan in a drill press) and dimple the edge for security. Brazing or silver solder if you like, it works with zinc coating, where welding thin sheet may be problematic.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.