How To Turn Styrofoam, Into Solid Aluminum (VERY COOL)

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

How To Turn Styrofoam, Into Solid Aluminum (VERY COOL)

Post by ken572 »

(ALL)

Check This Out.
How To Turn Styrofoam, Into Solid Aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH-PaNugz9w

Enjoy.
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
RONALD

Re: How To Turn Styrofoam, Into Solid Aluminum (VERY COOL)

Post by RONALD »

Here is an appropriate comment that was posted today on the Alloy Avenue site.

Today there are many industries and individuals using the Lost Foam casting method invented by Harold Shroyer in 1958.

Many of us on this board have tried and got good results from this method of casting parts, as I have done for many years.
Attachments
IMG_0673.jpg
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: Ronald :D

Thanks for your update.
One must remember.
Ken.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Sure made it look easy. I watched another video where he built the furnice (name?) to melt the metal.
Made that look simple but I know there is more to it. I wonder what sort of aluminum alloy comes from those soda cans? I would like to try some casting sometime.
Ernie F.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Metalman wrote:Sure made it look easy. I watched another video where he built the furnice (name?) to melt the metal.
Made that look simple but I know there is more to it. I wonder what sort of aluminum alloy comes from those soda cans? I would like to try some casting sometime.
Hello Metalman :D

I believe while watching How Is It Made
on TV, I saw an episode on the making of soda
cans, and they said that the aluminum used for
soda cans was 99.7% Pure. (Approx) :roll:

What I thought was neat, was his foam technique.
Instead of carving out a block of foam with a hot
knife, he drew the parts out on 1/4" foam hobby
board and cut the pieces out with sissor's and
exacto knife and glued all the layers together.

One must remember.
Ken.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Once again I caution about the expectations of using the ubiquitous aluminum cans for casting. because they are so thin, and coated with paint and plastic product lining, they are nearly worthless as is. You would be better served to trade at the recyclers for cast materials that will cast again. Getting reliable castings from gassy aluminum is not impossible, but a chore in the least.

Using foam to make dimensional castings has led to complicated structures, without a lot of coring, like engine intake manifolds. The problem is maintaining a good flow temperature, so the burnout gasses do not blow holes in the metals, and ruin thin sections. The lighter the foam, the easier it breaks down in casting. (bead foam is better than extruded foam). So casting 1/4 inch sections are dicey compared to a inch thick lump.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave »

+1 on avoiding aluminium cans, the paint and plastic coatings will introduce extra hydrogen into the melt increasing porosity as it comes out of solution in the aluminium as it cools (it's much more soluble as the temperature goes up), a much better choice is a trip to an engine rebuilder and offering a few quid for a bucketful of old worn pistons - they're a stronger alloy intended for casting!
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
ken572

Post by ken572 »

steamin10 wrote:Once again I caution about the expectations of using the ubiquitous aluminum cans for casting. because they are so thin, and coated with paint and plastic product lining, they are nearly worthless as is. You would be better served to trade at the recyclers for cast materials that will cast again. Getting reliable castings from gassy aluminum is not impossible, but a chore in the least.

Using foam to make dimensional castings has led to complicated structures, without a lot of coring, like engine intake manifolds. The problem is maintaining a good flow temperature, so the burnout gasses do not blow holes in the metals, and ruin thin sections. The lighter the foam, the easier it breaks down in casting. (bead foam is better than extruded foam). So casting 1/4 inch sections are dicey compared to a inch thick lump.
Dave, :D

This is only my opinion,
but I think if you cooked the aluminum after it liquefied
for maybe three more minutes at a little higher temp and
stur and skim before you pour it might clean up and work
pretty well.

One must remember.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Not a great idea. Excessive heat and stirring would simply promote more oxides, which are already excessive when melting aluminum, cans in particular, where so much dross is created. What can (and does) help is using degassing agents, which is good practice with aluminum, anyway.

Pure aluminum does not have great casting properties, so when one considers the huge loss of metal (dross), along with diminished casting qualities, it makes far more sense to sell aluminum cans, then buying once cast aluminum, as it is already alloyed for the purpose. Could be a scrap yard would be willing to trade cans for such scrap, as cans tend to bring a higher price.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Harold_V wrote:Not a great idea. Excessive heat and stirring would simply promote more oxides, which are already excessive when melting aluminum, cans in particular, where so much dross is created. What can (and does) help is using degassing agents, which is good practice with aluminum, anyway.

Pure aluminum does not have great casting properties, so when one considers the huge loss of metal (dross), along with diminished casting qualities, it makes far more sense to sell aluminum cans, then buying once cast aluminum, as it is already alloyed for the purpose. Could be a scrap yard would be willing to trade cans for such scrap, as cans tend to bring a higher price.
Harold
Good Morning Harold :D

Thank You for your thoughts, and explanation.

I now have more reading to do. :lol:

One must remember.
Ken.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Its not the reading, its ducking the aluminum POPS, wasting time on unusable blobs of scrap, and making the same part multiple times without a good one. Getting hands on will quickly teach you what DOES NOT work. Been there.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

steamin10 wrote:Its not the reading, its ducking the aluminum POPS, wasting time on unusable blobs of scrap, and making the same part multiple times without a good one. Getting hands on will quickly teach you what DOES NOT work. Been there.
Good Morning :!: Dave :D

Thank You for sharing your wisdom with me. :lol:

One must remember.
Ken.