PSC EMD headlight bezel

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikes5785

PSC EMD headlight bezel

Post by mikes5785 »

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a Precision Steel Car EMD headlight bezel to my Plum Cove Generic Electric locomotives.

The castings are about .14" thick where the bosses for the fastener holes are in the casting. The casting does not appear to be thick enough to thread the bosses for a threaded fastener.

What I was thinking was to solder a brass threaded stud into the casting and then fasten the bezel to the body with nuts and washers.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for the type of solder and flux. I believe the bezel is cast brass but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Mike
Harold_V

Re: PSC EMD headlight bezel

Post by Harold_V »

I'm going to assume that the casting is brass, as you suggested.
I'd not make a brass stud my choice. Especially if it is to get soldered, as the soldering process will render it dead soft, and VERY easy to break, assuming your choice is silver solder, not soft solder. What I would recommend is some 303 S stainless for making the studs, which you may even be able to buy. For that, you might think about using a 304 or 316 stainless screw with a grip, which would become the solid portion that gets soldered in to the brass housing. Cut the heads off, leaving the needed length of grip, then cut the thread to the desired length, removing the excess thread. Fast and easy. That's assuming the hole is the proper size. If you must drill the hole, allow a couple thou clearance for the solder you'll use, which, in my opinion, should be nothing less than silver solder (braze). I would recommend Harris Stay-Silv Black Hi-Temp Brazing Flux with this particular solder, both of which can be procured from a respectable welding supply. An ounce of silver solder should be enough to solder a large number of studs, so while it's expensive, the per piece cost isn't bad.

I recommended 303 S as the material if you must make them, as that is a free machining grade of stainless, and is a pleasure to machine, very unlike the other 300 series stainless materials you're likely to encounter (304 or 316).

That being said, you could probably use a low temperature solder with silver content, such as Harris Stay-Brite #8. I can't make a flux recommendation because I'm not familiar with the type of flux that would be required for this solder when soldering stainless. Be aware that such solder melts at a low temperature and is not known for its superior strength. It may fail in service, unlike silver braze.

Hope this helps.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mikes5785

Post by mikes5785 »

Does anybody have a source for the noted 304 or 316 stainless screw fasteners or 303 S stainless for making the studs

Thanks

Mike
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If you would be happy with making the studs from screws, you should be able to find a reasonable selection at the major big box hardware stores, where they are often sold individually. They are most likely to have 304 stainless, but either of them are more than satisfactory. Beyond those choices, the typical bolt and nut supply store should have a generous variety on hand. The big question then would be if they'll sell individual pieces, or if you must buy a box.

If you choose to make them, and there's any machine shops in your vicinity, you may have good fortune by stopping by one and asking if they happen to have any 303 S, or 303 Se on hand. If your needs are small, they'll most likely accommodate you, as such shops often end up with rems. All depends on how far you can get in the shop. If you're stopped at the front door and answer to a guy with a suit, you may not enjoy success.

303 S is relatively common, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some, assuming you inquire of a supply house.

If push gets to shove, you should be able to purchase any of these choices from McMaster-Carr. They have very reasonable shipping fees, and have a huge variety of materials which they offer at what I'd call reasonable prices.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.