Resin for patterns?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

pkastagehand

Resin for patterns?

Post by pkastagehand »

I seem to remember something about making copies of a pattern by casting a "negative" and then pouring a resin into that mold to make new patterns so I can cast multiple wheel (or whatever) in one pour without making extra wood patterns. I can't seem to find names and/or sources for those low or no shrink resins. Searches on resin and casting etc. all come up with many hits but haven't been able to weed through them all and find what I think I'm looking for.

Paul
RONALD

Re: Resin for patterns?

Post by RONALD »

Here is one place that may have what you want:

http://www.micromark.com/casting-and-mo ... ign=15WS41
pkastagehand

Post by pkastagehand »

Thanks for that tip. I have gotten their catalog but didn't notice those (not in the market at the time).

Trainman4602 also has videos I came across demonstrating Repro casting resin from Freeman supply.

I wonder if West System epoxy would work. I have a west marine in town and in fact still have some of the last of my last purchase. I just wasn't sure if shrinkage would be problem.

Paul
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

IMHO Epoxy copies are superior to common polyester resins, simply because of the heat transitions for the poly. This heat may melt or distort the reusable vinyl compounds that are hot cast for the mold. There are some 1100 reactive combinations, that can tailor the reproductions for your needs. You can stay in the most common for auto part creations and the like and move with confidence. Look around in the Art suppliers, particularly statuary, and you will find metal filled or plain pourable compounds that may cast what you want. Simple part for sand molding, means a simple compound for the shape.

These reusable vinyl based rubbers, like phony fish worms are available from art supply houses, I think I paid some $25 for a gallon of base material. It can be used over and over, but requires a deep fryer type cooker, not crock pot, to get the melt temperature. It casts a fume so ventilation is needed. I use a crock pot to ladle brown casting wax into the molds. All these materials can burn like diesel fuel, so fire hazards must be observed.

So carry on and learn.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.