Casting Iron Bar Stock

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill_Cook

Casting Iron Bar Stock

Post by Bill_Cook »

The subject of casting iron bar stock has come up in the past.

The iron foundry I work for casts test bars for quality control. They are about an inch in diameter by eight inches long. The iron is poured into molds made of 'no bake, no flask' sand. I don't know if the large amount of iron in the pouring basin effects the quality of the iron, or if it has to do with the large ladle they are poured from.

I haven't machined one, but I've turned a couple of bushings from iron in a vent that was drilled in a cope down to the parting line. It machined just fine. The Bushings were pressed into 5/8" drill-reamed ends of a length of half inch iron pipe. The OD was then turned to replace a worn plastic fairlead roller on a hose reel.
Attachments
Pattern Boxes - The release agent for the 'No bake' molds is a solvent based aluminum paint. It dries powdery, and has to be reapplied periodically.
Pattern Boxes - The release agent for the 'No bake' molds is a solvent based aluminum paint. It dries powdery, and has to be reapplied periodically.
2-Molds.jpg
Test Bar Molds - Some closed - some not. The light coloring is overspray from being in the paint area. The cavities of the production molds are painted with a water base silica paint that is dried in an oven for 12 minutes before the copes are turned over and put on the drags.
Test Bar Molds - Some closed - some not. The light coloring is overspray from being in the paint area. The cavities of the production molds are painted with a water base silica paint that is dried in an oven for 12 minutes before the copes are turned over and put on the drags.
4-Test Bars.jpg
5-Test bars.jpg
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.