The slow evoltuion of a long term plan

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: The slow evoltuion of a long term plan

Post by liveaboard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm

I built it in the wrong place!
I didn't realize the hollow brick structures they build here transmit sound better than air. Any noise in the garage half of the house is in the residential area too.
So I moved my machines out to the shed and a sea container, which is ok but there's no hoist, and the low head height makes it a challenge to add one.
When I have heavy work, the OH just has to put up with it, because there's no other way. I have to use the hoist. I use it to lift the front of my car up for instance.

A big drawback of the swinging gantry is the half circle area it covers; I can't place things in the corners. The work area is covered, but not storage zones.

I would like to build a rectangular shed with a traversing beam that can cover the whole thing, and can lift my tractor implements for mounting / dismounting with minimal muscle power.
It's difficult to get good lift height without a really high ceiling. the beam and carriage eats height, the chain hoist eats height, the block and the hook eat height.

Anyway, 300 pounds shouldn't flex a 6" pipe very much. If it does, add some webbing near the base.

RONALD

Post by RONALD » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:36 am

The feeling one gets when pouring hot liquid metals is akin to the same feelings one gets when a big truck filled with five yards of concrete arrive; it’s NOW or NEVER!

I have done a lot of both, not as an employee, but a "Do It Yourselfer".

I started pouring metals in the 70’s while teaching physics at Lane Tech High School, I actually enrolled in the night school metals class they offered adults at that time.

There were two actual foundry rooms, with two instructors. The school had 5000 students, so there was an endless supply of students for the various shops offered.

That is all gone now, but like Harold, I managed to glom onto some of the equipment when various shops closed, and, at scrap prices!

Today, I pour outside, but mold inside in a special building.

Our first pour was in 2000, and we have done many since, but that “Now or Never” feeling is still present until the pour is finished.

Below are three photos: the crane and furnaces in 2000, the molding building, and a pour.

Today’s students, in my opinion, lost that wonderful knowledge and pride gained by using hand and mind on real projects, no matter what the current web site says: https://www.lanetech.org
Jib Crane.jpg
DSCN0005_2.JPG
DSC_0723_2.JPG

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm

My stepmother was an artist who worked in bronze, so we had a little foundry in the garage.
She could pour maybe 10lbs. She used lost wax in plaster, so the molds had to be lifted out of the kiln hot after burnout, and they were heavier than the metal.
She found that the pyrometer was self defeating, the probe bled off too much heat from the small quantity of metal being poured; so after the first few times, she just judged the heat by color.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:00 pm

curtis cutter wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 pm
I have one of these if you need a scale Harold: Horizon 500 KG / 1100 LBS Digital Crane Scale Heavy Duty Industrial Hanging Scale
That could prove to be real useful for me once I get the furnaces installed. One of them is equipped with hydraulic tilting, but the other is not. It could be that I will use the jib crane to tilt the furnace when pouring to the ladle, but I don't have a knowledge of the weight of the furnace. I know it's heavy, and may exceed the limits of the lift, so it might be interesting to hook it to the furnace and slowly load it to see where it tops out. Lets talk in the future, as need arises.

I appreciate the kind offer! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.