Casting Ruler

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

AndrewMawson

Re: Casting Ruler

Post by AndrewMawson »

Kirk,

I suppose it depends on the scale of your casting operation and the metals that you are casting, but for me both for iron and aluminium, the shrink allowance is comparable with the oversize caused by rapping the pattern in green sand -( this is on fairly small castings)

Up to a certain size I suspect that you can compensate quite adequately by consiously rapping more or less before you withdraw the pattern
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK
generic

Re: Yes, calibrate!

Post by generic »

Here's a pic of calibrations applied in the mill with a drag point using the DRO.
Although it is a little time consuming and never a production method, it does work well.

Gene
Roy

Post by Roy »

The extra space made by a bit of judicious rapping would give you somewhat more oversize than the pattern would produce, but it may not work in all circumstances, and it may also produce a mold with one portion of it that is not in consistent or correct relationship to other portions. Only you can tell that. A quick and easy way to add extra to a original part that intended to be used for a pattern, if shrinkage is of concern is to use that sprayable putty filler. It comes in a spray can and sold at Wal MArt etc or auto parts stores. Its like a thinned down bondo in spray form.

What kind of small engine parts do you cast Andrew.Steam or IC? I have cast a few parts for the steam engines I produced. I also cast quite a few parts using the origonals from a kit so I had spares and parts to make a few more engines from.
AndrewMawson

Post by AndrewMawson »

Who said engine parts [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] Most of my casting to date has been making missing bits for obsolete machinery but just before Christmas I did do a run of 25 1" diameter aluminium silicon pistons for David Boote for his i/c engines (see M.E.)with quite intricate core for the innards- but that was sodium silcate bonded sand. Most recent exploit is experimenting with lost wax - bronze casting of lions for Daughters 'A' level art project.
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Roy

Post by Roy »

I sure don't know where I picked up engine parts from your post.........or from any other post as far as that goes.. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Roy,

What more can you tell us about the spray putty filler? I've not heard of it. Does it sand well? Cure time? Solvent type?

I'll try to check it out when we get to town next time, but meantime, anything you could provide would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.