hot wire foam cutter

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

hot wire foam cutter

Post by JohnHudak »

I finished my hot wire foam cutter and started to play around with it...I'm going to be making a rear truck assembly for a live steam locomotive project. I'm using an LGB model train transformer, which seems to be doing a good job. I first used an "N" guage transformer, but that kept overheating and shutting off. I guess I'm playing with the cutting speeds along with and how much force it takes to push the foam through the wire. Things seem to be going along OK, but sometimes the parts aren't coming out "square" and seem as if they might be tapered. Could this be because I'm pushing too hard and flexing the wire? Also, how hot should the wire be? It shouldn't be glowing should it? (mine isn't) I'm using NiChrome wire .016 Dia. Any hints or tips???? Thanks John
jutz

Post by jutz »

Pushing too fast will make the part sort of bowed in the middle as the middle of the wire drags behind.

The wire should not glow. I use stainless safety wire and I try to make it just hot enough that it gives when I put tension on it but not so hot that it sags under it's own weight. The ideal temperature, however, varies with the type and density of foam you're cutting so you have to experiment a bit. If you put an ammeter in the circuit, once you find the ideal temperature you can always get back to it by going back to the same current.

When you get the right temp, the cut will be just barely wider than the wire, the surface of the foam will be smooth but slightly hairy and you will be able to cut at about 4 to 6 seconds per inch with a very light load.

If the foam surface is pitted, the wire's too hot. If it takes noticeable force to push the wire through the foam, the wire's too cold.
Mr Sharpe

Post by Mr Sharpe »

I gave up using a wire many years ago, because it was not an accurate method. I use a band saw to cut the foam, and it's always the correct size and never tapered. I do use one of those hot wire tools that they sell to the model railroaders for sculpting foam scenery, to sometime carve the foam.
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Mr Sharpe,
What blade speed do you use? A "wood" speed or a "metal" speed?
Dan W.
Mr Sharpe

Post by Mr Sharpe »

I have two band saws a little 10" Delta and a 20" Powermatic wood band saw. About all that little Delta is good for is foam or real thin wood. The Powermatic of course has no trouble. I found I can almost cut the foam against the back side of the blade. You want a blade with a good number of teeth. I'm not sure of the FPM on the Delta, and I think the Powermatic is about 3000FPM. Of course, you want to have some kind of vacuum collection for that dust.