Surface finish on lost foam castings

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

4catmom

Surface finish on lost foam castings

Post by 4catmom »

Has anyone made lost foam castings with some type of "coating" on the foam to improve the finish of the castings? I've tried foam, but the cast surface is kinda "hairy" because of the irregularity of the foam, even when the foam is sanded. Maybe some "cling" plastic wrapping or some type of acrylic paint could be applied to the foam?
Thanks in advance,
pockets

Post by pockets »

Dan, I went looking for the link, but couldn't find it. Give me a little time. It's a guy who uses the lost foam method, but he dips his paterns in drywall texture paint. The photos show very smooth castings.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Greg, Here's one.... http://www.buildyouridea.com Click on "foundry"
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

OK, from John Hudak it's Hamiltons White Line Drywall Texture mix. Off to Home Depot tonight to see if they carry it....
I wonder if this would work for iron too?
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Dan, When I asked Dave (from the website I posted), about it, he told me he has only poured aluminum using the drywall mud, he didn't know if it would work on Bronze or iron... John
pockets

Post by pockets »

John,
That's the one I had in mind.

Thanks,
Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

John and Greg,

I went to HD and found another brand of this texturing mix. I don't think this is the same stuff as the "mud", or drywall joint compound. Instead, this is a product for "texturing" drywall, which is commonly applied with a roller after the drywall has been "floated". The dry powder is mixed with water into a slurry.

I'll make a small foam "test" mold and try it first with aluminum. If no problems, I'll work my way up to brass and hopefully, to iron.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a post I made over a year ago on the same subject.

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:19 am Post subject:
I have been working with Lost Foam since the 1970's. You will not get the same surface you would from a wood or metal pattern, but you can come close. The type of foam has a lot to do with how smooth you can make it. I will hand sand the surface using fine sandpaper, and then apply a green pattern wax which I bought from Blehm Plastics in Michigan. It is a waterbased wax. The glue I use is water based rubber cement from the same company. Organics based cement will disolve the foam. It has been a number of years since I purchased from them, I'm not sure if they are still around. The biggest casting I have poured is a (1.5" scale) 60" long tender "water bed", but I've even made headlights out of foam. In the 70's there wasn't much information avalable, but today there is loads of information on "Lost Foam" or EPS on the Internet.
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Ronald, thanks for the tip. I googled Blehm Plastics and found their website, so assume they are still in business. Only problems are that they package the sealer wax in five gallon pails and have a $50 minimum order. I wonder what the difference is between this product and automotive paste wax?
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

RONALD wrote:In the 70's there wasn't much information avalable, but today there is loads of information on "Lost Foam" or EPS on the Internet.
Ronald (and others),
What of EPS vs. XPS? From past experience I know XPS is easier to hand work than EPS, I've wire-cut a lot of it for models, but my understanding is that EPS is preferred for lost-foam foundary patterns. Any comment? I'll soon be working on a couple of patterns fror brass castings and would like to use the best material.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

GW, you got me on that one. What is XPS? Lost Foam is always a balance between foam density and a better appearing casting. Unless you are doing an investment casting where you burn out the foam before pouring metal, the hot metal has to totally burn up the foam, and you have to pour at a little higher temp. Therefore it's best to use the least dense foam that will do the job. Also, always put the good face of the casting toward the drag, because the crud that may be left will float up into the cope of the mold.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

RONALD wrote: What is XPS?
Extruded Polystyrene, now mostly used as building insulation and commonly called "blue board" or "pink board." Fairly dense.
Therefore it's best to use the least dense foam that will do the job.
That's the kind of information I've been looking for. It only stands to reason that the denser the foam the more potential there is for residue to be left in the mould after burnout, or meltout. In my particular case the casting would be machined all over, or at least all exposed surfaces would be machined, so surface texture is not a critcal issue although I won't want it looking like a corn cob either.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN