crucible suppliers

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

todd goff

crucible suppliers

Post by todd goff »

I tell you what; as bad as times are apparently some of the foundry suppliers do not want to sell supplies. I have been shopping around for some prices on crucibles and out of 3 suppliers only 1 has given me a quote. The crucible that I am needing is a 150 # teapot type a bilge and as it looks right now I will be buying one from the one supplier that thought enough of me to call me back with a quote. I don't understand what the big deal is; with times like they are I am sure that the crucible manufacturers are feeling the pinch or maybe they don't care. My question is this; can anyone refer me to a supplier that obviously wants your business and won't give you the run around. I prefer silicon carbide crucibles to clay graphite and if there are any recommendations on a good supplier would someone please let me know. :x
RONALD

Re: crucible suppliers

Post by RONALD »

Todd, try these people. They are a major manufacturer of crucibles:

http://www.morganmms.com/default.aspx?p=cradv

They can tell you who distributes their products.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the link, Ronald. Lots of good information available there, free for the asking.

Todd,
Don't be too surprised by the lack of response. I recall, several years ago, making an inquiry to six different companies, using my business letterhead. Only three of them had the decency to respond. And American companies wonder why business is leaving our shores?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
todd goff

Post by todd goff »

Apparently they don't need the business. One of them is local (within 75 miles) and is part of a chain of foundry supply places and I think that their business has really slacked off. Oh well, if they close that particular branch one day because there is not enough business to justify keeping it open then maybe they will figure it out. I have been wondering about ordering a crucible from zircar (which is in India) but I have no idea what shipping would be or even how to go about getting a quote. Morganite makes a great product so I may just contact them and see what they say. :?:
Fender

Post by Fender »

RONALD wrote:Todd, try these people. They are a major manufacturer of crucibles:

http://www.morganmms.com/default.aspx?p=cradv

They can tell you who distributes their products.
I notice that Morgan suggests their "salamander" brand clay graphite crucibles for melting grey iron, very interesting...
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
DMF_TomB

Post by DMF_TomB »

i use
http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Crucibles.php
for small foundry supplies

150 lb? crucible is big. Heavy and hard to handle. weight of metal shifts as it is poured and splashing is easy to do. even with tongs that clamp to a crucible secured with a bolt and tongs held with a trolley on a I beam monorail i had to add weights to tongs as to lift 100lbs of cast iron and tongs i could not easily push down 100 lbs and control pouring cast iron without splashing. also for cast iron in a crucible i had to add sheet metal heat shield to smaller pouring shanks as the heat radiating from hot iron was heating my welders gloves and welding jacket too hot.

clay graphite crucibles are recommended for cast iron as iron dissolves silicon carbide or crucible wall thickness will get thinner with each use. even clay graphite crucibles can suffer some damage from gas or oil flame where it first touches crucible.
todd goff

Post by todd goff »

It goes in a tilt furnace and I am thinking seriously about going with clay graphite and using this one to melt iron. But on the other hand; I only deal with aluminum, brass and bronze right now and seldom if ever have a need to do iron. Aluminum is hot, brass is hotter and like you said iron is hot as hades. I have only melted and poured it about twice and am not set up for it even on a small scale; it eats silicon carbide crucibles like crazy (which is what I use as I am sometimes rough on equipment). I haven't ruled out clay graphite crucibles yet but don't like the idea of having to temper them before using.
katty5

Post by katty5 »

professional graphite crucible supplier i recommend http://www.xrdcarbon.com/products/graph ... _crucible/ ,hope it helps!
catty
XRD Graphite Manufacturing Co.,Ltd
Top China Graphite Supplier And Graphite Machining,Graphite Manufacturer
Official Website: http://www.xrdcarbon.com/
Tel: +86-400-996 1105
Fax: +86-375-650 1666
Mobile phone: +86 139 3756 8001
E-mail: info@xrdgraphite.com
Add: High-tech Industrial Development Zone, Baofeng, Pingdingshan City, Henan Province, China
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have always had good luck with lagrande industrial supply out of portland oregon.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

DMF_TomB wrote:i use
http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Crucibles.php
for small foundry supplies
Wow, that's a great site. Lots of free information. It sure looks like they are interested in business from
the little guy. I've been looking for a place like that. Bookmarked it!

Pete
Just tryin'