Help with a very disappointing 1st pour...

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Help with a very disappointing 1st pour...

Post by steamin10 »

Chet: If you are mixing green sand for iron, go for it. If you are casting only aluminum and bronze, make some petro-bond instead. You will be much better off. (Ask me how I know.) it will eliminate many gas blows from steam that is present from the green sand mix, and the porosity. It is easier to condition, and hold in plastic buckets or a baggie lined bin. The mix is readily made from the Auto parts store chemicals. The formula is on the internet.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Big Dave!
You've always shared a bit of wisdom when I've posted a problem.
However... you've mentioned the benefits of petrobond and suggested a formula that can be found on the internet.
Would you please share YOUR formula or the actual website of the formula you use...
There's too many opinions out there on formulations...
I'd be happy to consider the exact formula you've had success with...
Chet
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Chet: Refer to Bentone EW, posted Feb 5, 2009

It will give you some facts, and of course my opinion. There are a few on this board that know and do much more than I, but they are lurkers and dont risk the light. I worked in a very large foundry for steel, but am still an ameteur at home. Owning a piano does not make you a musician. Somewhere there is a pic of some trucks and frames I cast in aluminum, from auto part feed stocks. Another series got scrapped, as they shrank and cracked, being of screen door extrusions, and contaminated with iron. I preach against iron pots and such for melting, because of the negative effects I know, and have seen. But then , it IS the way I started. Now the wiser.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Chet

Post by Chet »

I found your Feb 5 2009 Bentone EW reference Big Dave!
Interesting info...
As usual, thanks for sharing!
Chet