Melting Transmissions

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

twistnwire

Melting Transmissions

Post by twistnwire »

Is it possiable to built a furnance to melt the aluminum from engines and transmissions?If so could anybody tell me how it could be done?I'd like to try and build something.Anybody have any thoughts. :?
Russ Hanscom

Re: Melting Transmissions

Post by Russ Hanscom »

A first step might be sawing the castings up so they will fit in a reasonable sized crucible. I then pour into ingots with a simple steel mold and use the ingots when it is part casting time.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

The home-made furnaces formerly used by scrap re-cyclers here in Alabama were generally heavy open top cylinders about the size of 55 gallon drums. They were lined with firebrick, had pouring spouts part way up and doors a bit further up. They were fired with a long L shaped burner sticking down inside. The burner was fueled with propane and supplied with air from a squirrel cage blower. They were filled with transmissions, small engines, etc., and the burner ignited. When the aluminum had all melted the burner was turned off and the furnace was tilted to pour it out. The door on the side was used to rake the steel parts out.

Most places seem to have quit 'smelting' the aluminum because of increased fuel costs making in unprofitable. A lot of the heat was wasted. You may be able to find some details if you search for 'aluminum smelter'.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

An acquaintance, now deceased, used to run a foundry. He salvaged aluminum from castings of all descriptions for reuse in his foundry. A simple open top furnace was employed, much like was described by dly31, the exception being the furnace was a continuous discharge type. That prevents excessive absorption of dissolved iron, which has the potential to destroy the mechanical properties of aluminum. Preventing ferrous objects from soaking in the molten aluminum is very desirable.

The furnace can be fueled by propane or natural gas. Top remains open, which isn't an issue when melting aluminum. Scrap steel (piston rings and other ferrous items that are typically included in castings) is fished out when the furnace is shut down. Internal dimensions of the furnace would be dictated by the intended feedstock.

Discharge from such a furnace would be such that the resulting ingots are sized according to one's crucible sizes, so they can be introduced for re-melt without any special handling.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BobS

Post by BobS »

I use just trans cases and alloy wheels for my aluminum casting because it's good stuff and I can get it from a transmission rebuilder at the wholesale scrap price and they come steam cleaned to boot. 8) I started out busting the cases up with a sledge but that's a job so I finally went out and bought a log splitter to break them up. In just a few minutes I can have a case broken up and have a 1000 lbs of cases in couple hours down to the size to fit the my crucible. :roll: This is also a good time to remove any steel pieces that are still in the cases to prevent iron getting in the melt later. A gallon of gas used this way will go a lot farther then the same amount used to try and melt the cases down to size. :?

Alloy wheels are little more trouble but if you watch the style you pick up that are spoked and not a flat dished they usually go easier. :wink: Bob

ImageImage

ImageImage
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i like the log splitter idea, why didnt i think of it.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Don Young
Big B

Post by Big B »

Bob,

I like the log splitter idea. Now filed away should the need arise.

Don,

Those are some nice looking furnaces. I especially like the turret for the ingot molds.

Brian
Bellien

Post by Bellien »

Mind your metal, it can be rather exciting to mistake a piece of Mg alloy for Al alloy :D

Edit: recycling post to add:

For breaking (I lack a log splitter :( ) I'd set Al scrap over the furnace vent holes till it was quite hot then would give the pieces a smart wrap with a hammer to shatter them. As a bonus, it made sure that everything was very very dry before it went into the happy melting pot.
Last edited by Bellien on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Any suspected magnesium alloy should be tested with a small grinder. High magnesium will spark noticably. Aluminum will be dead, no sparks at all.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
twistnwire

Post by twistnwire »

Hey thank you all for the info.The reason im wanting to do this is i have a small salvage and tow buisness i run by my self and i want to try and release all the trapped money i can find in my scrap.(with the least amount of cost).I feel a small furnance i in my plans.JERRY
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If ingot generation is your goal, you will have to skip a step and go to the next level. Find a direct consumer for your product, either a caster, or major remelter, that will trust you. Pallet or Gaylord sized shipments are the norm. A major remelter would rather have crushed wheels and transmissions, than undescribed ingots.

There is no one in my area that will accept home ingots. They are afraid of contaminted metals and steel (iron) in the product they cannot control. (zinc from diecast too) Their way of control is to monitor the scrap coming in , not possible in bar form. The major yards here demand clean ( no iron, screws bolts, major paint and plastic) on the aluminum. Like the old fashioned lawn chairs, must have the rivets and clips with the webbing ALL removed, or yard workers do it, and they dock you.

Any large quantity of metals, may make you subject to zoning laws, and if smoke is generated, of course there are Gov agencies that can be very nasty. (EPA, as in permits, and samples, like Air, Ground, and Water, of your site, and extensive records. Dont ask me how I know).

Any activities associated to to your towing business, will simply mean you have deeper pockets, that can be raided in these tight money times. So your paths of production may need to be in such a way as not to be under scrutiny.

On Age old maps, at the edge of the world is the warning, "there be dragons here".

I dont mean to be negative here, but you need to look over the fence a bit, and see how others may percieve you, and not your intent. Any questions raised can have huge implications if you are seen as out of bounds.

I wish you all the best, but move carefully, not blindly.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.