Large Sheave Pt 2

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Large Sheave Pt 2

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The next step is to rig a stub arbor so the OD and groove can be turned. The wire rope size is 7/8" so the recommended groove diameter is 15/16 - 1" Once the arbor is ready, I will add some more pictures.
Attachments
DSC00895.JPG
DSC00893.JPG
DSC00897.JPG
DSC00898.JPG
steamin10

Re: Large Sheave Pt 2

Post by steamin10 »

Russ: Industrail wire rope suppliers have a plastic fan guage set that are the standard for wir rope grooves. It could be your guide for the final dimensions on the groove cutting.

I think there is a standard printed in the Machanists handbook too, but I did not look.

Too bad a bout the shrinks on an otherwise good casting. This is a typical flaw for that kind of part.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Russ Hanscom

Re: Large Sheave Pt 2

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have at least one handbook with the essential dimensions; the basic bottom diameter is the rope diameter plus 1/16".