Kerr Electro Melt

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Kerr Electro Melt

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

Has any one tryed used a Kerr Electro Melt for Brass or Bronze?

http://www.kerrcasting.com/products-1/E ... erview-tab

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
RONALD

Re: Kerr Electro Melt

Post by RONALD »

Do it all the time, in fact, I pour more bronze than aluminum with the Kerr Maxi Electro Melt.

First photo is of the pouring area, the second shows a result of a pour.
Attachments
DSCN2642.jpg
DSCN2634.jpg
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ronald. You should post more. What, Where, How, and Why, with pix. A basic run through of YOUR process as set, would be helpfull to all that dont know the process.

I am new to waxes, and pouring trees, just doing sand castings mostly. Working with waxes is another branch of the founding arts, and can be more art than, than copy. I want to do some parts, (journal boxes) from waxes, and cast the lids in permanent mold which is like fishing sinkers in simplicity. Cast Iron, or high carb steel works for aluminum, and is die casting in real form.

According to the specs, you are running right up on the limits of the furance for temp. How does it work for you?

This furnace, and those of this ilk, are most commonly used in the Dental appliance, and Jewelry trades,

Most of the Hoopla is over homebuilt Furnii that can be much larger, low cost, amd higher capacity, with larger scrap and reclaim abilities. The diference between a Ford, and a BMW type thing..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While my experience came from a Handi-melt furnace, which is smaller, I don't think much of these small devices.

Let me explain.

My application was for melting pure silver, or it could have been gold, which would have been much worse, as the melting point is higher. I avoided even trying pure gold, knowing I'd just have more trouble.

Because the crucible is exposed at the rim, it quickly burns away. For those who may not know, the crucible is machined from graphite. The cost, per heat, is quite high as a result. I even tried coating the rim with a refractory wash, which slowed, but did not stop the combustion, which was clearly visible. In the end, I abandoned the use of the furnace and stuck to torch melting, which was much faster and cheaper. I could pour ten ounce (or smaller) silver ingots by this method. Do keep in mind, in order to enjoy the degree of success I achieved, I had a large, industrial type Hoke torch to use for melting. YMMV!

I would be inclined to urge a small natural gas fired crucible furnace before recommending the Kerr. I refined precious metals for more than sixty customers. Not one of them used the Kerr furnace. All torch melted.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

It may be more expensive because the graphite crucible slowly burns away and must be replaced after many melts, but I have done hundreds of castings (Not pours because the castings are on trees) using that Kerr furnace.

Try pouring those small investment casting flasks using vacuum with a larger furnace crucible, or torch melted metal, and you won't have much to show for it. Besides, I do this in my basement.

There are almost 300 lost wax castings on that EMD TR-4 I super detailed. That includes railing parts, hinges, sand doors, door handles, bell, headlights, horn, and re-railing frogs, all made using that furnace. To melt that small amount of metal in my B30 furnace would be a waste of energy.

Of course, I do larger stuff using those larger furnaces, the B30 and B700 I have out back, they hold a #30 and #70 crucible. You can do up to 90 pounds of bronze in a #30, and 210 pounds in a #70 crucible.
Attachments
2001 - 055.jpg
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Heeeyy,now! Thats not a Furnace, thats a super looking loco!

Your making me want to jump out of my Critter project, and go whine in a corner somplace among the swarf...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I ended up getting a good deal on a Rio Grande 3KG Furnace. Now I need the other items. I am thinking about making the vacuum tables. I need to find a burn out oven also.

I will be making detail parts for a CNW J-class Mikado. There are lots of parts in the Young Valve Gear.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Big Dave asked about temperature limit on my Maxi Electro-Melt. It shows 2050'F on the dial, but I found that my best setting is around 1900' to 1950' F. Of course, newer version of that furnace my not have the same specs.

For quality castings I use C99700, which is sold by Kramer, and is called White Tombasil.

Below is a temperature chart I made up for the various metals I cast, of course when you use mixed scrap, melting and pouring temps must be found by trial and error.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

RONALD wrote:Try pouring those small investment casting flasks using vacuum with a larger furnace crucible, or torch melted metal, and you won't have much to show for it. Besides, I do this in my basement.
It can, and has been done, Ron.
I own a Romanoff motorized centrifuge, one that accepts 4" flasks. One of my previous customers purchased the same model, and cast silver and bronze, all by torch melting. Did it on a production basis, in fact, and cast several flasks daily, in his basement. With the proper torch, its not a problem.

Of course, you are restricted to the volume of the flask in question. I believe the longest is just 7". That may or may not be the equivalent of what you've been doing by vacuum casting.

I don't know if it is still on the market, but jewelry supply houses used to offer a small bench sized crucible furnace that would be ideal for small lot melting. In view of the fact that crucibles for the electric furnaces are very expensive, and life is short, it might be a viable solution for the guy who hopes to cast small lots. I'd also suggest that it's not hard to build a small gas fired furnace. I previously built one that accommodated #1 crucibles. A rather simple project for a guy who's handy with tools.

It didn't take long for me to discover that my #1 crucible furnace was too small, so I then built one that would accommodate a #8, which better served my needs.

Beautiful engine, by the way!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Grantham

Post by Grantham »

These little melters are great for small amounts of metal. The built in pyrometer is another plus. You can see mine in action in this YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOKy3Msa4I .

Rod
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Great professional looking video Rod, it again demonstrates that the old axiom, "A You Tube Video is worth a thousand words", is still correct.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

RONALD wrote:
Try pouring those small investment casting flasks using vacuum with a larger furnace crucible, or torch melted metal, and you won't have much to show for it. Besides, I do this in my basement.
The foundry where my wife works, casts about 70% of their castings in a vacuum; up to 250#. :lol: The furnaces are a little bigger though, up to 2000# and that foundry only does steel alloys. :D

Jim B