Kerr Electro Melt

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Sandiapaul

Re: Kerr Electro Melt

Post by Sandiapaul »

What is a "B30 and B700" furnace? Who makes it?

Will everdur(sp?) melt in the Kerr?

Thanks!
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a web site that has good information on the MIFCO furnaces:

http://www.saundersfoundrysupply.com/me ... naces.html

Unless you have $$$$$ to burn, or are in the non-ferrous casting business, you would not want to buy new.

Over the last few decades, most high schools closed out their foundry and other shop programs because ALL students today are to be COLLEGE BOUND; don't need to learn about such messy technology if they ALL are to be lawyers!

When they closed out the two foundries at the school where I taught, I was the only one that wanted the equipment, so for ~$1500, I got those two furnaces, flasks, metal, benches, and lots of other materials.

Sorry to say, now that all shops have been removed from most high schools, such finds are harder to come by.

Below, is a photo of one of the two school foundries in happier times, I also got that muller in my purchase. The two foundry teachers, Ray and Mike are in the center.
Attachments
Foundry Class.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Be advised that the small electric furnaces, such as the Kerr, and the Handi-Melt, use a machined graphite crucible, which has an exceedingly short life, and they are very expensive. They burn away (rapidly---and all the faster if operated at elevated temperatures) at the top, so they will no longer allow controlled pouring. I purchased a new Handi-Melt for use in casting ingots of gold and silver, but abandoned its use almost immediately because of its inefficiency. I do NOT recommend a furnace of this type for anything.

There are far better ways to melt metals for casting. A simple (natural or propane) gas furnace is one of them, and building the furnace isn't much of a chore. In that case, you can build according to your needs, choosing from a myriad of crucible sizes and types.

In regards to whether such a furnace can melt everdur---yes, it can, but you'll be operating at the top end of its rating--where crucible life is very short.
Build a small gas fired furnace---you'll be glad you did.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Thanks for the reply Harold...can you recc a small furnace? This is for live steam parts, and not big stuff like drivers, small detail parts and in 1" and 3/4" scales at that. I like the idea of building one, BUT, I'd rather get to work sooner and it will become another of those "back burner" projects.

Thanks,

Paul
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The only small furnace I can recall seeing was one provided by a jewelry supply house. It was years ago, and my memory isn't strong, but if I had to venture a guess, I would suggest it was probably good for two or three pounds of aluminum. Good for small work, not good at all for larger stuff. You might consider looking online to see if there's anything available today.

I understand your reluctance to build a furnace, but it's really not a big deal. If you wish to investigate the idea, I'd be willing to lend my thoughts. I've built a few and have had respectable results. Assuming I don't die of old age, there's another in my future, only this time it will be oil fired.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I have been using the same Kerr Electo Melt since I purchased it from the late Fred Ellis of Power Models in 1984, and during those 30 years, I used less than ~10 crucibles. Of course, I melt aluminum or brass/bronze not gold, and fire it up around ~10 times per year.

Here is the place where you can find lots of lost wax casting equipment, videos, and jewelers tools.

I buy my flasks from them. (Power Models ceased to exist when Ellis was killed in a fire at his fire works factory a few years later)

http://www.riogrande.com/Category/Tools ... sting/5866
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

VIDEO AND POST DELETED BY THE AUTHOR
Attachments
WP_20140604_001 - Copy.jpg
Last edited by Trainman4602 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Trainman, looked at your video and my first thought was, lets hope that OSHA or the local Fire Marshall never looks at that video.

Actually, OSHA has no jurisdiction in his garage, but the locals may.

Pouring metal with bare arms is a no-no no-matter what the temperature.

Autos, gasoline, oil, and other nearby incendiary materials is NOT the place to pour metal!

DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR FRIENDS EXAMPLE WHEN YOU SET UP YOUR FOUNDRY!

I would think of re-shooting this video in a more safety conscious manner as you do with your trains.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

This is the second time in a week that someone on here that never takes the time to show anyone how to do this or talk about it criticized someone who is helping to make this forum more interesting and a more informative place.

Last week it was that dolfa guy about patterns just says I can do what you did in 30 hours in 8 hours and now RONALD Talking about safety when you are pouring molten metal in the basement of your home with all the stuff around on the bench Paper and other flammable stuff.

When I first looked at the pictures that you posted of your setup I thought wow that is great never thinking of the negative. I looked at it positively.

Because of your comment I took a second look and looked for negative and I found it.

I am sharing my 45 years of foundry and pattern making knowledge with all on here this is what I do to make a living and I am telling all out there how I did some of the products that I have developed over the years, and for FREE I might add.

With this comment and what happened last week, I will now no longer post anything to do with these processes.

Making this videos and putting them together takes up a great deal of my time. You only have so long on this earth.

You might think this is a childish attitude but this is how I feel. I am just tired of the know it all's on here.

You may say well Dave your a know it all I say to that let's see your video and post on any form of manufacturing process.

MY DEEPIST APPOLIGIES TO ALL WHO HAVE GIVEN POSITIVE COMMENTS AND COMPLIMENTS TO ME ON MY VIDEOS.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEM THEY WILL NO LONGER BE POSTED HERE. YOU CAN FIND THEM ON YOU TUBE.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Thats me and my foundry set up in the (now removed) video. I have heard plenty of safety lectures over handleing of molten metal to last me a lifetime. Fortunately for all of those who watched the youtube video it is impossible for you to get burnt from your viewing location.
Rather than start a war with the safety nazi's i will simply say "when you are casting metal take what ever safety precautions you deem necessary to protect yourself" And if you really want to see an osha nightmare, look for the video on youtube where they are casting iron barefoot!! I kid you not!!
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Dear Trainman, I believe you said this was a friend's set up, not yours.

In my book it's always Safety First, so when I saw an operation that was unsafe, I felt it my duty to say so, and thought you would appreciate my suggestions for your own setup.

I too have been casting metal for many years, but as a hobbyist. I even have an article in the November 1984 Live Steam Magazine on casting metal, and that's almost 30 years ago. At my casting bench in the basement, I'm using the Electro Melt, not pouring much metal, and remove those nearby paper-towels, etc., before beginning the process of melting and casting.

I have had my share of accidentally spilling molten metal, and it is nothing to take lightly.

You have contributed a lot of information to this board, and I'm disappointed at your decision, but still do not recommend setting up your foundry under the same conditions as your friend has done.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

RONALD wrote:Dear Trainman, I believe you said this was a friend's set up, not yours.

In my book it's always Safety First, so when I saw an operation that was unsafe, I felt it my duty to say so, and thought you would appreciate my suggestions for your own setup.

I too have been casting metal for many years, but as a hobbyist. I even have an article in the November 1984 Live Steam Magazine on casting metal, and that's almost 30 years ago. At my casting bench in the basement, I'm using the Electro Melt, not pouring much metal, and remove those nearby paper-towels, etc., before beginning the process of melting and casting.

I have had my share of accidentally spilling molten metal, and it is nothing to take lightly.

You have contributed a lot of information to this board, and I'm disappointed at your decision, but still do not recommend setting up your foundry under the same conditions as your friend has done.
Casting at the casting bench in the basement? so your pouring metal that is elevated 3 feet off the ground? Thats not safe either..
Only pouring a small amount of metal?? Well how much molten metal does it take to start a fire or burn yourself??
When you spilled the metal, what did you do after it happened? I have had a couple of spils over the years and had the molten metal set things on fire. I dont get scared or panic. I just grab one of the bags of sand that are sitting right around me and put it out (did you see them in the video) or were you too busy judging everything that was wrong rather then finding what is right? Do you keep a couple of bags of sand handy for when the molten metal gets away from you? If not you really should, fire extinguishers do little for molten metal.
I would like to make one suggestion to all members of the forum, Instead of commenting on how things arent safe, how about making comments only showing when they are "doing it right"