Starting In Lost Wax/ Investment Casting

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Re: Starting In Lost Wax/ Investment Casting

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I started to inject wax this weekend. Here are the stake pockets that I am making. There is 75 in the box.

Tim
Attachments
Stake Pocket 1.jpg
Stake Pocket 2.jpg
Stake Pockets.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Ron

I am getting ready to pour my fist metal. I am thinking about just melting a crucible full and pigging it out to verify that the furnace is working as it should.

I am thinking ahead when I start to do castings. I will be doing more than one flask. Do you reload the hot crucible or pig out the first crucible and insert a cold one that is full of metal?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

When I pour lost wax, I just keep filling the crucible with metal, and melting, until I have completed pouring the number of flasks that are ready to be poured.

I then let the crucible cool down in the furnace, to be used again at another time. Yes, I know I should empty the crucible, but I gave up that practice a long time ago. These crucibles are so small, it seems to make little difference.

I buy my crucibles from Rio Grande: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Rio-Gr ... ace/704037

Below is the furnace and crucible. As the metal starts to melt, I will add the scrap shown to bring it up to level.

I melt full ingots in my big B30 furnace, and save the gating from those big pours for use in the Electro-Melt.
Attachments
DSC_0681.jpg