Cleaning Wax Pot

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Cleaning Wax Pot

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

I just received the wax pot I purchased second hand. It has some wax residue left in it. What is the best way to clean it.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Harold_V

Re: Cleaning Wax Pot

Post by Harold_V »

I've never had to deal with that, but seems to me you can heat the wax until it's molten, then pour it out. Wipe the interior well afterwards, using a lint-free cloth, or even paper. If you wish to get it spotlessly clean, go after it with some solvent after it has cooled.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I'll second what Harold_V said, it doesn't take a lot of heat to melt out leftover wax.
If it's a large chunk, let the pot heat till you can lift the chunk out, I've used 2 long
drywall screws driven into the chunk deep enough to grab, once the bottom and sides
starts to soften and melt lift it out, test by trying to spin the chunk by hand.
Turn the pot off and let it cool till you can scrape out the little bit remaining with a bondo spreader.
Naptha cuts wax really well, use it to wipe out any residue.
Grantham

Post by Grantham »

In my shop when changing from one injection wax to another, we use flushing wax from Rio Grande. Part number 700-216. It costs about $30 for a 5# block. If you're not that fussy, just melt it out and wearing heat resistant gloves, wipe out the excess. Rod Grantham