Molding Bench

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

chucketn

Molding Bench

Post by chucketn »

I'm setting up my foundry almost from scratch. A friend is helping me make a Vontorne muller. Now I need a molding bench and want to get it built before the muller is available. Are there any good molding bench plans available? I will be using green sand to start.
I have a couple ideas but want to ask the experienced to avoid design errors. What plans did you build from? I need to know basic dimensions and useful features. I'm thinking 24" x 48" and 12-24" deep, slats on top for holding flasks, room underneath for tubs to hold new/mulled sand.
Is 1/2" plywood strong enough or should I go with 3/4"? Should I divide it into 2 sections for conditioned vs. used sand?
Show us pictures of your molding bench, any special features, why you like/dislike your bench.
Thanks in advance.

Chuck
steamin10

Re: Molding Bench

Post by steamin10 »

Build a box with an open front, that can be closed off with 2 movable panels to keep kids, mice, and Cats, from playing. About 5 ft long divided into two compartments. Build the top so you can use a sheet of plywood for a worktable for other functions. With a solid divider at the midpoint, construct the top area so that heavy 2x2 slats run from frnt to back to take the pounding of the mold boards and flasks beng picked up and handled. (flipped). It should also be lined with galvanized sheet metal so as not to leach moisture from the sand, and resist the grinding action of the short handled shovel you will use to charge the sand into the flask. This is particularly usefull with oil sands, as they will sink the oil into the wood.

The back of this thing can be a plywood head board lookin thing, that you put 16-20 p. nails into to hang your various favored brushes, trowels and strikes, to keep them at the ready. Nothing fancy, just reach and grab.

The heigth should be low to grab a mold with arms extended, and swing it off to the floor nearby. You can do larger molds and close them on the floor, one half at a time.

My setup is buried under a ton of things, and not available for view.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you look at TubalCain's foundry videos, you'll get an idea of what Big Dave is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL69F982076354AC97

Steve
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Thanks for the links. I like the bench in the video. Mr Pete's bench was good, but I like the other better as I could use it for a work surface when not casting.

Another question for the experienced.Mr Pete mulls his petrobond sand after each use. Is that necessary with green sand?

I like using the cement tub to hold the sand, but how well does green sand keep in one? Wouldn't I need to provide a cover to prevent it drying out?

Thanks for the great responses everyone.

Chuck
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My bench is nearly identical to the link for Caines foundry, including the Mini-Mite sand mull. Very small but it works well. I have dental blocks that limit the cross pieces movements, on the bench. They fit spaced about 4 inches apart, any where you need them. In my opinion use 1/2 inch. and 3/4 inch plywood to avoid any weekness when you use this thing. As stated before , line it with light ga. galvanized sheet metal. and the back should carry all the brushes and tools for working the pattern.

Ya green sand depends on clays for the working strength, and you must have good distibution of moisture and condition. Ya the mortor pan will work well, if it is enough for your sand. My volume is greater, and I use oil sand (Petrobond copy) so I am better with a quick mix than green sand, which has to be mixed more, most often stepped out or walked on and tossed with a shovel on teh floor, with stingy additions of water. A cheep plastic tarp is the answer for a cover, to slow evaporation.

Dont fret on making a bench, there are many styles for your use, many hobby casters get by with a garage floor and buckets for the sand. Kiss rule. So carry out your needs, and get it going.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tomc

Post by tomc »

If u don't keep your mulled sand in an air tight container, it will dry out and will need to be re-mulled.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Untrained Alabama Redneck version.

Being a hobbyist at best. I am actually copying a photo I saw on line.
DSC_1423.JPG
The box is an Aluminum Truck tool box. It has two rails to put steel bars across to support the molding board. The box top also has a foam seal to keep out rain water. I am making a sliding box to go on the rails for tools. The paint strainer on the right is my Riddle by the way.

I use Petrobond Oil Sand and having left cans of it uncovered for months I did not notice large amounts of drying out.

Right now I have it on a table but today I purchased 4x4 lumber to build a table under it with Castors.

If this experiment fails it will be emptied out and presented to my son for Christmas to put on his truck. If it works I will buy him a new one.

Kind of a low risk project.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Having a bit of Scotts in my heritage, and a pair of old kitchen cabnet bases in the garage, I decided to use it for my first molding bench. I will take pictures when the sun comes up.
A contractors cement tub holds the sand, and fits in where the drawers were. My flask, riddles and other tools fit in the cupboards below. I left the top removable for molding but useable as a bench when not. Also mounted it on casters for mobility.
I built a sliding grate for supporting the flask for molding that stores under the top.
It'll work for starters, I may build a deluxe version later.

Chuck
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Redneck Molding Bench
DSC_1467.jpg
Not quite finished

I want to add castors so I can move it outside when breaking out parts. The smoke from the Petrobond does not do well in the basement shop under our bedroom.

It will also end up with a shelf underneath to store tools and flask. Finally a coat of gray paint.

Total cost was 200.00 for everything so far. The box came from a tool discount outlet.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

loogs like a good answer to the problem, does the lid open far enought to not be a head banger in use??
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Yes and it has a good spring to keep it up and out of the way.

I did two molds on it this afternoon and it worked fine, Except for the fact that I have yet to add the castors and it is a little low for my back.

Ill be home in a few weeks to add the lower shelf and make another tool tray.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American