Artwork casting

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Artwork casting

Post by redneckalbertan »

Harold_V

Re: Artwork casting

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks. An amazing and interesting piece of work.

I fully expect the owner of the casting is much happier than the fire ants were.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Geeze! A profitable way to rid your yard of fire ants!

We dont have ants where I live. They dont make scuba gear small enough for the criters in the swamp. Seasonal floodings pretty much take care of that. Come to think of it, I have had ants in the house, but I feed the colonies Ant syrup, and in a week they are done. Kills flys too.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rick

Post by Rick »

May have to try that this summer when the ground gets dry enough. We have plenty of fire ants here, nasty little things they are and hurts like H$@L when you get bitten by them :evil: No matter what you put on the mount to kill them you dont get them all and they just move about 15 feet and start over. Molten Aluminum may just be the ticket to get rid of them. and its environmentally safer than poisons :D
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I think it is quite ironic that fire ants are dieing by fire!
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Interesting, I wonder if the nodes when cut in half have ant impressions in them ?
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Naw, projecting from my experience, they may leave a distorted impression on the top surfaces somplace, but owing to their size, they would mostly disappear. I have seen a similar practice done in S Africa done on ant hills to explore their limits and character. It was amazing being 4-6 ft underground, and some 12 ft in diameter. Alot of digging to unearth the wonders of nature.

Also interesting is a YouTube of a guy making impressions in wet beach sand, with the Ocean in the background, and casting a small table or stool. No huge founding setup, no elaborate tooling, just a coupla stainless saucepans full of aluminum.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.