Calling Harold

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

jpfalt

Calling Harold

Post by jpfalt »

Harold, do you still have your inductotherm furnace and have you hooked it up?

Jim
Harold_V

Re: Calling Harold

Post by Harold_V »

I still have the induction furnace, which I hope to get operational in the very near future. We're very close to moving in to our new house, which must happen before I can work on the furnace.

I face two issues, one being a total rebuild of the furnace itself, the other in reassembling the power supply, which is a large motor/generator (vertical, not horizontal), all on a common shaft. It is currently somewhat dismantled, as I had to replace the water cooled caps with new ones, as well as have all the meters either rebuilt or replaced, thanks to the unit having been stored outside for a couple years in Utah's brutal winter climate. The old caps were allowed to freeze and had developed leaks, and were filled with a PCB. For the record, they were properly disposed of, thanks to cooperation by the Bureau Of Mines, who previously owned the unit.

While freezing didn't harm the meters, exposure to snow and rain did. All four have been removed for replacement/rebuild, and are currently stored in the boxes as they were received from Hickok.

What do you have in mind, Jim?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

what are the function ie voltage and range ie 0 - 1000v ac dc for example.

you never know whats in my goodie box hihi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hammermill wrote:what are the function ie voltage and range ie 0 - 1000v ac dc for example.

you never know whats in my goodie box hihi
Output of the power supply is 3,000 Hz 400 volts single phase, and rated @ 50 kilowatts at 100% output.

Frequency for induction heating/melting is critical, although there is a tolerance that is generous, as they will operate over a respectable range, just not as efficiently. Huge induction melters (hundreds of tons) operate at line frequency. Also, the nature of the charge is instrumental in determining what frequency is best. The model I own was marketed in two frequencies, with the other being 10,000 Hz. Small feed requires higher frequency, although if there's a heel (or a large piece inserted) to start the melting process, then it's not as important.

Unlike the more modern induction furnaces (solid state), this type requires that capacitors be switched for power factor correction. That occurs during melting, as the secondary (the charge) changes characteristics as it melts.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

Harold,

I'm involved with an instructional shop in Portland that is currently getting set up. It goes by the acronym VIAS, for Village Industrial Arts Studio. We have some classes going like woodworking, patternmaking, machining and 3D printing. We will be adding some blacksmith and foundry courses. One thing we want to be able to do is pour iron castings for both classes and for parts for scale engine kits and some small machine tools and currently have two speedy-melt gas furnaces that run aluminum, brass, bronze and if really stretched, some gray cast iron. If the InductoTherm was running I was going to ask if you had any interest in running some cast iron parts. If not, I was going to ask if you still wanted to hang on to the furnace and try to buy it for the shop.

Sounds like you still plan to run it at some date, but let me know if you decide otherwise.

BTW, what is the state of the house? I guess Cindy and I need to take a run up that way soon to see how it goes.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jpfalt wrote:If the InductoTherm
Mine's an Ajax Magnethermic, Jim.
I was going to ask if you had any interest in running some cast iron parts. If not, I was going to ask if you still wanted to hang on to the furnace and try to buy it for the shop.
Lets see where you are in your project when I get the induction furnace online. I won't close any doors, as I owe you as a friend. :-)
Sounds like you still plan to run it at some date, but let me know if you decide otherwise.
You're first on the list, Jim. My advancing age is working in your favor, too, I might add. :-(
BTW, what is the state of the house? I guess Cindy and I need to take a run up that way soon to see how it goes.
Heh! We got the final inspection in January, but we are just now about to begin the process of moving in. We've not been in a hurry, and there were some projects I wanted to get out of the way before we entertained the idea of moving in, as they were much easier when we weren't living there. I am at the end of the last project, and should finish up this week. We'll then start moving in, although quite slowly.

Thanks for asking, Jim. Do remember, you and Cindy are always welcome!

Harold
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Jim,

You made mention that you had an Inductotherm. What do you need to get it running and what model is it? I have some parts that if they fit, you are welcome
to.

Jim B
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

I don't have an inductotherm, which is the problem. I am trying to find one for use in the instructional shop.