Gold furnace

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

jessebanning

Gold furnace

Post by jessebanning »

Does anybody know a source/vendor to purchase materials or a kit from to make a small furnace to melt gold and silver? My mother would like on for her birthday.
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Harold_V

Re: Gold furnace

Post by Harold_V »

jessebanning wrote:Does anybody know a source/vendor to purchase materials or a kit from to make a small furnace to melt gold and silver? My mother would like on for her birthday.
I am not aware of a kit being on the market, but there used to be a very nice small furnace available from jewelry supply houses.

Unless your mother is involved in refining, I can't understand her need for a furnace. It is VERY common for jewelers to use a torch and melting dish. Such a setup is more than capable of melting several ounces of either gold or silver. A furnace is much slower and less convenient, although it does offer the opportunity to melt and flux a larger volume of metal.

If you are certain a furnace is in order, it's not all that difficult to build one. I've built several in my many years. Here's a picture of the largest one, a tilting reverberatory furnace, using for the recovery of values from incinerated waste from the refining process.

Harold
Attachments
Tilt furnace #2.jpg
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a place to find out what equipment may be available for your casting project:

http://www.riogrande.com/Home

You will notice they have the current price of gold listed at the top.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I can't comment on your search for a small furnace, but have dealt with Rio Grande and was very happy with the service that I received.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

X2 on Rio Grande. It's been some years, but they were great to deal with and their prices, while not cheap, were certainly fair. Other friends who currently deal with them say they're still very good.
Pete in NJ