Never enough time

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

Harold_V

Re: Never enough time

Post by Harold_V » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Interesting comments on Fastenal. Here, in Chehalis (25 miles distant), they have a store. I've had badly mixed results when making an inquiry. Originally, their prices were astounding. Didn't take long for them to raise them, though, at which time they were more expensive than everyone, and that didn't include the shipping charge they wanted to add to pretty much every purchase. It was clear to me that they weren't interested in those who made small purchases, or so it seemed.

There's been times when I had need for something difficult to obtain. Their price in steel was higher than the price I paid (usually from McMaster-Carr) in stainless, which was a distinct advantage for the given application.

Currently, they seem to be priced somewhere in the middle. I enjoy success, occasionally, in obtaining things I don't find easily at other sources.

Wish they'd settle on one business model and stay there. sure would be helpful to know if I should or should not shop there.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Not to bash Fastenal....although, I guess I am. I think they got so many gov't contracts, they don't care about us peasants anymore.
Grainger's did the same thing.

Fastenal here, if they have it in stock, you pay no freight. If it isn't in stock, you will, even though it is no rush, and it shows up on their same truck that their stock orders do. And if you want it in a hurry....break out your wallet.
I still get sales flyers online from them, but their prices on tools & tooling on sale, is higher than most any other places when it is not on sale.

McMaster is not great on the pricing of things, but they almost always have it in stock, and it's easy to find on the website. I think they have the best search engine of anyone. And, their service, is excellent, and better than most anyone.

Tooling, tools, metals, no matter....I'm a shopper. I look at the price and the freight, and end up getting things from all over. Enco was my #1, now MSC is. That's based on both price and service.
Helps to live 125 miles from the MSC warehouse.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Fastenal got e for $17.50 for 2 metric bolts, one lost off of my tractor roll guard. So I fugured to get 2 and rplace the rusty one anyway. 2 bolts and nuts, plus an additional $11 for point sipping to the store. Delivered the next day. I got my wish, be carefull what you wish for.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 am

Today under the threat of overcast showers, I managed to mow most of the seen areas of the property with the wounded lawn tractor. With one mounting strut torn out of the housing shell the deck is not so stable, and I had to watch going over rough ground. The deck ,belts and my energy lasted for the day. The helper Linsey and I cleaned up a pile of dumped concrete from the property. To her credit she attacked a bushel sized blob of concrete on a pipe that had been a corner fence post She picked the biggest 20 lb long handle hammer in my stable and in 5 whacks powdered the mass into manageable pieces for disposal. I had enjoined her from trying to woman handle the too heavy piece for fear of damage. The newly conditioned trailer has the plastic bed liner placed on top to absorb the abuse so its all good. The spoils went into the 2 yd dumper on the property, and we continue to abuse the privilege putting concrete shards and asphalt pavement into the dumper a little at a time.

I talks with my next door neighbor, he has given me another craftsman mower deck of 42 inch variety. It is complete and dismounted, so the deck problem has a nice solution as long as it isnt froze up. At least I wont have to patch together the pieces of the shell.

Left to my own devices, Wednesday morning I will fiddle with the AC and get the charge topped up and the unit back in service before Mom hangs me. She is of the Ilk to have instant satisfaction and doesnt care what preparations need to go on. I of course, have to go into the checklist to assure my efforts are correct and lasting.

With the help of Linsey, I moved the deteriorating boxes out of the tunnel for the last of the cages that got stored there. Being too humid the goxes started to grow, so I need to reclaim the space for its original purpose, train storage. The last 9 cages were moved into the house, from the original 60 or so that were donated by a store. Teh aged boxes made for kindling under the slash pile and were sent back to nature today, sent to the fire gods. Everything here is too green to burn,and still winds so it was time. With the weather being a bit on the drying side, I can now mix up my weed and grass killer for the sprinkle can and go around my hosta garden to assure less interference with the look by denuding the hill. After treatment some wood chips for mulch will be applied. The front of the house is a constant work in progress.

I write this at about 4:30 inna morning, having died early from fatigue last night. With a doc visit, and a goat hay run, it promises to be a full day.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Well everything runs like water here. A nice summer thorms moved through early morning, and helper Carlos has volunteered to come and help with the downed AC unit. A preliminary check had me calling for help as my quick check showed a non functional unit. As it works out, I got fooled with a ghost voltage on my meter. One leg of the power breaker was fried. So the unit could not run on single phase. Long story short, the start run capacitor got weak and caused the startup currents to go high. Those surges heated and eventually arced the breaker points. We have had to reset he breaker a few times, and ignored the sign of trouble. Anyway the breaker failed. To get running we transferred the lines to spare single pole units and off we go. The common double pole is about $12 at the local Mantards and will be installed before sundown. The run cap was changed out with a newer version, and Carlos left it to me to do the cleaning and blow out of the condenser. But it runs, and that will make Mom happy.

It will be near record highs into the weekend with a heat index of over 100. not good for this old boy. My air is a blessing, and necessity.