aftermarket heater cores

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

aftermarket heater cores

Post by spro »

A simple truck heater core. The fixed pipe wasn't mangled in shipment. It comes out of the core head different. It is close but different angles. If it is to be bent to achieve these angles and if it is, voids any warranty.
It's a spectra which is the same by other names. Do we carefully bend these things to mate? Swaging or similar at an elbow and bending that, is not what should be expected from a "drop in" replacement.
Is this aluminum pipe .. bendable?
spro

Re: aftermarket heater cores

Post by spro »

There was something about thickness of the core at one site. Anything which works for 15 years would be okay and less per warranty.
Don't say that. Too expensive. Older Toyota I coulda bought an engine for that when dollars were worth money..heez where' me spectacles for need to hobble to nearby smithy.
Smithy says "what is this small thing? It were copper it would be fixed rightaway boil it in clxxxx mix touch up holes. What is that?"
Nothing says I, having not disturbed the past . yet
spro

Post by spro »

The compound bend in the main one makes it unable to exit the firewall correctly. It cannot allow the return to be fastened, which is the register of how this unit can be inserted into the underdash. Further is another pipe with a clip.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Not knowing much about your particular heater core, I would be very hesitant to try and bend the aluminum very much. I would think the thin aluminum would be prone to kinking and once kinked any attempt to try and rectify the kink would likely result in a crack or breakage.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I would not attempt any significant bend. If I could not get a correct replacement, I would reconsider repair of the original. Solder and epoxy can sometimes salvage something pretty bad. One of my first epoxy repairs, about 1963, was to a split radiator tube in a Nash Rambler. Never leaked for many years afterward.
Don Young
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I dito to the do not bend it advice. Not knowing the vehicle details I can't offer advice beyond the get correct replacement advice Or repair old one
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for your replies. The original was shot and this replacement was attended by some test at the bends. They do not want to comply to modification. I'm only relaying what has been probed by another to do. There is possibility that a anti-collapse spring type insert can be fed into the straight area and that could be bent. It looks like the firewall will have to be slightly modified to accept this "Drop In Replacement". I probably have a core from an old Volvo that would be as much trouble.
Then the subject would be: What are the best hoses to last 20 years ? :lol:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For what it's worth, it is my opinion that making a bend---any bend----in a heater core is not a wise decision. The chances that you won't upset the seal, where the fitting joins the tank, is not good. I think I'd explore the source, ensuring that you were provided the proper replacement. Doesn't sound like you were.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I would question whether or not you have the proper core for that vehicle. A mistake may have been made somewhere along the line. It would not seem that, that amount of fab work would be needed to get it to work. If is was me, I would be making a phone call the the place from which it came, and talk to a representative of the product, to make sure I had what I thought I was suppose to have. It would be worth the time for me.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
ronm

Post by ronm »

Aftermarket suppliers tend to consolidate several "close" variations of parts into one "will fit" piece, to simplify catalogs & inventory. Not saying it's right, just that it's done...I have a feeling the Japanese stuff is worse in that regard, it seems they make running changes about every 10 min. in production. I once tried to find a carburetor for my BIL's Datsun pickup. The junkyard guy showed me the listing, there was literally a whole page of different carb part numbers for that year pickup, and not a coarse-printed page either.
"Will fit" is a pretty broad description-what you have to do to make it actually fit is not their problem.
spro

Post by spro »

Harold. Yes. The importance to not stress at the core joint is foremost. I appreciate everyone's assistance for what may seem a minor problem. The situation is not entirely out of my hands for I was in agreement about this purchase. After things which couldn't be seen in pictures, did the problems appear.
I did a search about these and there was a problem about the "low temp climate" and "high climate" ones. The complaints were that the cores were too thick (2"). This is only my surmise of what happened afterward. The type that we need was pulled and the default was the other one. Numbers were, this equals that. We did go around and see what was available. Nothing actually fit the heater box we brought in. This is a perfect time for a 4wd truck to be waylaid LOL. It's not that it can't run without an interior heater. Lots of stuff has to be disconnected. We had to take out the bench seat to remove parts. It's just a thing at a certain time and it will be done .
Patio

Post by Patio »

Spro, I wish you the best of luck with the project.
I have learned here, about the consolidation of parts. I had not idea that things worked that way. This information may save me in future projects. I will have to pay attention to this when the situation arises. Thanks for creating the discussion.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!