Q Plastic Dyes

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Q Plastic Dyes

Post by jcfx »

I've dyed plastic with varying degrees of success, usually it's clear plastics that I need tinted for whatever reason.
Rit dyes work on Acrylic, PET, and Polycarbonate, not sure if it will work with PVC, or ABS, which don't come in clear.
There are issues warping since you'll have to heat the dye solution in order for it to work and with color shifts,
so if you want a smoke grey clear you're not going to get it, something to do with ion attraction of the particular dye color.

I did find success with plastic eyeglass tinting dyes, Optisource is where I got mine, I had to make visors for helmets that
I made for a show, Rit dyes weren't intense enough so I tried eyeglass dyes, which worked extremely well.
Eyeglass dyes are used like fabric dyes, a heated dye bath and immerse the part, the time spent in the bath determines the
intensity of the color ( ie; red dye @ 2 min a salmon color , 10 min a deep red ).

If it's a solid opaque color you're better off with paint, SEM's bumper coater is great, you'll have to clean the surface well,
some light sanding to give the surface a tooth, and give it a quick wipe with lacquer thinner ( depending on the plastic ).
I don't recall the manufacturer but there is an adhesion promoter used for plastic bumpers called Bulldog,
SEM sells a similar product but it's just called adhesion promoter. A good autobody supply shop could supply you with
the color you need, the SEM aerosol can bumper coater is a very limited color palette of silvers and grays.
I've used both and they work well, the key to bumper coaters are that they need to cure at least 48 hrs or longer.

Hope this helps