Product for Blackening Motorcycle Parts?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Product for Blackening Motorcycle Parts?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Does anyone here know of a good product to turn motorcycle exhaust pipes black?

I have read about heat-resistant paint, but my personal experience has always been that it burns right off. I saw someone recommend a product called stove black. It comes in a tube, and you rub it on the metal. But it's not guaranteed to work on bare metal.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap rat bike and modifying it. I want a bike I'm not afraid to park outside 24/7.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Metalman

Re: Product for Blackening Motorcycle Parts?

Post by Metalman »

I've used VHT header paint with decent results, http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/. The specs on the VHT seemed to have improved from years back.
I wrapped the burned-blued part of my pipes from the heads to the muffler with a black fiberglass heat wrap. When that lost the color from a Gunk cleaning I sprayed the wrap with the VHT. I held up good.
I thought about trying Cerakote air dry, supposed to take 1700-1800° but I did see it burn off a machine gun barrel.
Ernie F.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

VHT makes header paint. It's called 'Flame Proof' now.

Used it on my dirt bikes years ago. Good stuff.
Worked on my barbecue too.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Here's some stuff with a better rating than VHT. No idea how well it works, I've never tried it.

http://www.amazon.com/010301-Black-High ... ader+paint

When I was using VHT, it was part of the routine...not cause it burnt off, but cause it got sandblasted off. Motocross is tough on stuff....
Most of the problem was where the expansion chamber came out of the cylinder, right behind the rear tire. There, and where my leg would rub the paint off. The rest of the chambers held up well....where it wasn't contacted by dirt or body....excluding things that happened due to 'fancy get-offs'. :)
The header paint that the auto parts stores sold tended to get chalky and fall off pretty quick.

They do some stuff called 'black chroming'. Friend of mine had his down-swept pipe on his Honda XL350 thumper black chromed. Nice....shiny....expensive...even if the guy at the chrome company is a friend.
Important note.....the black chrome will fail, if some crazy guy in front of you rides a wheelie on a YZ360 for a mile and a half (that would be me), and wrecks dodging a dog....and you run over him and his bike.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.