Do HVLP Paint Guns Clog Between Coats?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Do HVLP Paint Guns Clog Between Coats?

Post by BadDog »

The "squeegee" likely maps directly to the credit card things I was describing. They were also used as such. But I don't think you'll have any luck using spreaders. I also still have some blocking "sponges" (don't recall what they were really called. But they were a sort of firm closed cell block, maybe 3" x 5" x 1/2" or so. The 3M blocks were my favorites, but particularly toward the end of that run I spent almost all of my on-car time ether with the frame machine, or laying out paint. The blocking is very time consuming and I could find guys who were good at it and/or trainable. I never did find anyone I really trusted for the hard stuff either in the paint booth or the frame machine, so those remained almost solely mine (except for the easy stuff).

I have no knowledge of the red paper, must have moved beyond me too. I believe the last car I sprayed was around '92 or '93, though I have sprayed some off-road trucks and buggies (tube bodies are a @#%#%@!), that's certainly nowhere near the same thing I was capable of back then.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, doing an 'Industrial' off roader dune bug,or plow truck with anycolor doors, is pure heaven compared to bike tanks and show cars. I remember being embarrassed to ask for $2k for a candy paint job on a Camaro, and got it. I think I made almost $5 an hour on that one after the paint. It was raved over, and made local shows, and smashed in traffic 2 yrs later. Insurance would not pay for any 'extra' added value. Passion and pain. It goes together somehow.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

For the experience, I went over the parts with an airbrush and primer. It turns out it shoots it really well. The finish, right out of the gun, is about like 180 grit sanding. It's also less messy. I was able to do it right here on my bench, with visqueen over everything. But I had to take the airbrush entirely apart ASAP and soak everything in acetone.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Good for you on the cleanup. i have finished at 3am, and dealt with reacted paint 5 pm the next day after work 8 to 4. Ah those evil days. Probably why I LOOK OLD...
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I know that's why I feel old. Probably didn't help that I used to wash paint off my hands with Lacquer thinner.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper