Fuel storage tank

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Fuel storage tank

Post by steamin10 »

Ooops! I asked and was told no in very certain terms. It seems that the legged tanks have been banned, as they have no environmental containment. The 375 gallon plastic shipping totes are not allowed except in industrial 'temprory use' settings. So now I am stuck with the old furnace oval tanks, and they must be inside. So now I am going to contact a supplier, and see if they have any ways through this minefield.

Any suggestions for about 300 gallon diesel storage is welcome.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
reggie_obe

Re: Fuel storage tank

Post by reggie_obe »

A Convault. Double wall, leak monitoring, been available for years. http://convault.com/ Why not a crossover tank in the bed of your pickup?
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

having little idea as to what your area regs call for. steel drums setting in a containment pattet with a capacity in excess of the drums may be a option, look in the little pig catalogue for ideas.

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/spill-containment-1

some areas allow underground tanks if placed in concrete vaults with leak detection. given your living on a lake water status this may not work.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

reggie_obe wrote:Why not a crossover tank in the bed of your pickup?
Take a look at local regulations, up here, as I understand it, any slip tank must now be double walled. Fuel tanks for vehicles do not. So the way around the new regulations is to plumb the slip tank in the back of the truck to your vehicles fuel tank and this changes the tank from a slip to vehicular tank allowing you to use a single wall tank.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

This on just does not make much sense to me:

A non moving storage tank has to have dual layers and leakage monitoring while a moving tank plumbed to a vehicle subject to collisions can be single wall...

Go figure,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Dave, :D

Check this sight out.

http://abovegroundfuelstoragetanks.com/

They are approved in the state of Indiana. :wink:
Check out there Catalog and also there Farm Fuel
Storage Tanks. They are Above Ground and Moveable.
Might be idea helpful.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

DrDavo wrote:This on just does not make much sense to me:

A non moving storage tank has to have dual layers and leakage monitoring while a moving tank plumbed to a vehicle subject to collisions can be single wall...

Go figure,

Dave C.
No it doesn't make sence, add to that the single wall slip tanks that I have seen are a fair bit thicker than automotive fuel tanks. Think of it from a manufacturing point of view, what would be the cost of double wall tanks? I don't think vehicle manufactures would have stood by and let it happen. After additional maintenance costs of checking the integrity of the outer wall, increased weight, so decreased fuel economy and decreased capacity.

Up here farmers were expempt from the double wall regulations for a while, appeasing and silencing them. It hit the oil patch and construction industries first. With the environmental paranoia in the oil patch, to the point of not being able to drive on to some leases with a vehicle that might drip one drop of oil on a lease, and money to spare their objection was half hearted at best. Now as far as I know any new tanks sold are double wall the farmers exemption is over.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

How much diesel do you need or need to store? What about: http://atitank.com/products/dot-refueling-tanks

Fill it, fuel your tractors and maybe a yellow can or two. Empty it shouldn't add significant weight and decrease truck gas milage much.
TomB

Post by TomB »

DrDavo wrote:This on just does not make much sense to me:

Go figure,

Dave C.
That rule is even dumber than you think on first reading it. I use a lot of fuel oil on the ski mountain, during the snowmaking months 3 to 4K gallons per day. I use to have a big tank with a metal boat around it for spill containment. But open spill containment tanks must be inside since they would fill up with rain and snow if left outside and uncovered. However my roofed shed that contained the diesel tank fell down, and the oil dealer took the tank and containment boat away and then sold me a very well used home delivery truck. It sits outside and we maintain it so it will start and move. But mostly it just sits on a concrete slab and every day the oil delivery truck arrives and refills it. There are some drips from the pipes that go between the tank and the delivery pump and we keep big kitchen baking pans under the truck to catch the drips. The EPA inspectors (state version) ask us if the trunk will move and we say yes and after seeing it demonstrated once have never verified our answer again.

To me it always seemed like the stationary tank with the surrounding boat plus some corrugated roofing or maybe a tarp would be a safer installation, but that not what the rules called for. We had to move to a tank without a containment.

Tom