Free Canadian income tax software

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Free Canadian income tax software

Post by Torch »

It's that time of year again. I have no affiliation with these people, but have been using their software for years. If you do your own taxes then there's no need to buy expensive software every year. Studio Tax is fully featured and free for personal use.
spro

Re: Free Canadian income tax software

Post by spro »

Just a comment and then I can remove. I thought the U.S. had the monopoly of changing the software/ reader requirements every year.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I don't know how much change there is to the underlying software, but the tax rules seem to change every year up here, so there has to be some updating.
woodguy

Post by woodguy »

Genutax is another Canadian Tax program that is free (payment is voluntary). I've used it for years and it works well. The rules do change every year - more so in an election year. No affiliation - just a satisfied customer, not of the government - just the tax software.
spro

Post by spro »

Torch
True with the software when you do it online. I've experienced problems downloading parts of the tax information and basic forms.
Not to obscure your original subject.. To our Northern Brothers..
Studio Tax
Torch

Post by Torch »

woodguy wrote:Genutax is another Canadian Tax program that is free (payment is voluntary). I've used it for years and it works well. The rules do change every year - more so in an election year. No affiliation - just a satisfied customer, not of the government - just the tax software.
I didn't know about that one. A quick look at their website indicates they are not approved for Quebec residents for some reason. I'll d/l it and compare for fun.

(Did I just suggest "taxes" could be "fun". Ok, just get it over with and shoot me now...)
spro

Post by spro »

Consider yourself shot with a noodle.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Apparently the wet noodle didn't work, 'cause I downloaded Genutax and tried it anyway. Both programs came up with the same final number, but I have no idea how Genutax came up with it. Studiotax shows all the forms so you can see where the numbers come from. Easier to play "what if", IMHO.

On the other hand, Genutax walks you through things with an interview-style interface, so it might tweak you to a deduction you didn't know you were eligible for. Studiotax has some tips here and there, but I think it assumes more familiarity on the part of the user.

I think I prefer Studiotax. But I can see where Genutax might be appealing (as long as you don't live in Quebec, anyway).

Either are a darn sight better deal than paying $40 to do a whopping 2 returns, like certain tax software programs on prominent display at an office supply store near you.

(In the end: I get a refund. Yay: money for more tools! Oh wait, that just means they took more than they should have in the first place...)
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

H&R Block has been advertising for free softwear on their site. Never used them, know nothing more than the commercial said...