Rant on requests

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Rant on requests

Post by spro »

One of your links is NYtimes and I wouldn't expect that to be used since you respect accuracy. Unless I can convince you a micrometer reads perfect when it has been biased to make it read what I want it to read.
Similar rant is incessant phone calls. They disguise their number but it is constant. Bandwidth is the new junk mail road they are clogging. We are all paying for this too.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am considering 'fund my cause', a people funding site. If I ask to pay for a cripples house, (me) and I get 100,000 hits for a $1 each, I will gladly turn the remainder over to the Rescue.

Hmmm, sounds like a plan....
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Heck. I'd give you 2.00 and think I'd lowered it to 50,000. :) If I did that 12.5 times there would be 2.00.
Who's to say one math is better than another? :shock:
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

They disguise their number but it is constant.
I have only a cell phone now, all the people I care to talk are in the "List" when a call comes in the display shows the name of the caller if is found in the list, else just the calling number.
I do not answer to unknown, If it is a legitimate call, like a reminder from a new doctor or some local business I am currently dealing with they will call within 1/2 hr. Robocalls are on a schedule and will call back days later. I make an exception for local area-code, often is legit. Some common sense apply, if you are bound for the airport and is bad weather the airline may be calling to notify a cancellation. If I miss and answer a solicitor, I notice and remember part of the number, something peculiar and easy to remember short term, an then hang up before any word.
How do you hang up a cell phone?

If I am particularly miffed at a repeater I file a complaint on the FCC web site, even for e-mail without the option to unsubscribe. I do not know how much good it does but always receive acknowledge.

Another alternative, Google the number, you will be surprise how commonly you find blogs discussing the number as a scam. I do that because not answering has a small risk to neglect a legitimate call.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Robo calls and non-solicited calls got completely out of control around here, calling 24/7, and over & over again.....as many as 50 a day.
The 'do not call' list....near as I can tell....is worthless.....
AT&T is hardly much help. They will let you block up to 10 numbers, part of the caller ID package. That didn't put a dent in what we were getting.

I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/T-Lock-Call-Block ... ll+blocker

Since I hooked it up in March, I've blocked 158 phone numbers, not counting the callers that show no number in caller ID. (You have to have caller ID for the T-Lock to work) You can program it to block any callers without caller ID.
Any blocked calls still show up as a 'missed call' on my phone, but it doesn't ring....and ring...and ring.....

And....if you are looking for a place to check who is calling you, I've found that http://800notes.com is pretty good.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I've got voice mail on my phone, if I don't recognize the number and it is important they will leave a message.