different schedule

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

different schedule

Post by spro »

Not my favorite thing to trim and remove invasive bushes. Within Bayberry were the greener type and before I knew it, I had uncovered the nest of a bird. I set it aside and continued hacking. It was really a fine nest and makes me think. I had to cut this stuff because it was getting overgrown on my schedule but that bird worked hard on its own. I never actually touched the nest with bare skin, so there is hope. I expect it is a Robin nest for I inspected it closely. It was carefully woven and entwined with thin thin stalks and harbor freight blue tarp strands. A local bird and the nest was newly made. It was made for a serious clutch of eggs and This struck me.. It had honeysuckle flowers inside.
Sometimes we have to step back and think about this.
I drove a stalk as support and some other thing around the nest to support it in a crotch of the same bush. Never the same, of course.
ctwo

Re: different schedule

Post by ctwo »

Around here the bluejays rip most robin and finch nests apart and eat? the eggs.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. We have jays and mockingbirds here but robins ... whatever made that nest for their new ones is a Good bird. Imagine that I disturbed that nest at that time and even give a thought to it. All the other things going on and I'm not the only one who thinks about it.
spro

Post by spro »

There are birds, like a cowbird? which actually invade a nest while the parents are away. The parents are away because they have to gather up food for their offspring. Then they return to find different eggs in there. Their eggs were destroyed but they can't fathom how it could be. They work and hatch the invasive eggs and those hatch before their remaining eggs. The invasive are larger than the real ones and starve them and beat up the real chicks.
At some point, this can't work and there are parallels...yet it was nice nest.