Lucky me.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mosey

Lucky me.

Post by Mosey »

I took my project over to the Physics Department machine shop today, and while I was there I happened to notice that one of the big lathes had a big faceplate on it. Do you call 36" big? I do. Heavenly.
bigfoot

Re: Lucky me.

Post by bigfoot »

how about this for a faceplate
Mosey

Re: Download.

Post by Mosey »

I can't open your picture. Can you reload it?
bigfoot

Re: Download.

Post by bigfoot »

Is that better, a 2.2 metre swing,8.5 metres between centres, working weight of 50 ton. Made by Craven.
Kevin
Steve_in_Mich

That's no Atlas lathe!

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

I suppose they can be large enough to mount the controls and pilot seat remote on a boring bar and stuff you down the end of a cylinder to cut internal threads but you should be in a cage so the chips don't kill you when they fall. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]

How big would the "T" nuts be for that faceplate? Probably carry them one at a time and not in your pocket either. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
ttyR2

Re: That's no Atlas lathe!

Post by ttyR2 »

How about http://www.machineryvalues.com/details. ... eNo=127385

Poreba made a huge lathe as well. Didn't have a normal lathe bed per se, and you stacked hube plates under the head and tail stocks depending on how big the part was you wanted to turn. It was huge.
Thanks,
ttyR2
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The biggest face plate I have seen was on a vertical lathe (burried in the floor) for turning the turret seal for an M1 tank... the seal is 16' dia.
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Roy

Post by Roy »

I swear, some folks just have no respect for machinery. If I had a guy working for me and he insisted on standing or setting on my lathes cross slides I would fire him! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
jaxinbc

Post by jaxinbc »

Reminds me of an experimental big wooden crane I ran one time. Had a 340 foot boom on it and 90 foot jib. Took 16 oilers to keep it all running smooth. Every time an oiler would hire on they would issue him a slingshot. Reason for the sligshot was to keep them there woodpeckers off the boom !!! :-) :-) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]