aftermarket 2-cycle carbs

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: aftermarket 2-cycle carbs

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote:Interesting. ... Might be helpful for you to describe your procedure. Harold
Well, my issue is actually with a 4 cycle gas straight shaft trimmer (different attachments, but mainly string). I got it rather than the 2 cycle variety because I didn't have to keep fuel mixed, but mostly for the nice off-idle torque (for things other than string) not offered by 2 cycles. Anyway, I know it's the alcohol in the gas, but you simply can't get straight gas around here without going to the airport for 100LL, or driving down to S Phoenix about 45 minutes away (without traffic). No more than I use it, and no more fuel than I use, it's just not worth it since any stockpile would go bad before using. However, given the problems getting ethanol free fuel, you would think the polymer guys would have worked out how to make a primer bulb that didn't get brittle and crack in a year's time by now. And the other problem is, I can't seem to find the ones that fit in bulk. The 10 pack I got won't quite fit, and I've not found a more likely option. So I get the crap sets at the start of each season, install one, and throw the rest in the trash.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Russ. I was hoping to read something that might help me avoid the same problem, which appears to be the alcohol in the fuel.
We have only one option for obtaining alcohol free ---and it's 25 miles distant. Considering we travel there weekly for our provisions, I try to keep on hand a five gallon container. It's used in our lawnmower as well, so it is consumed quick enough to remain fresh. Susan has a lot of (natural) grass to mow! :lol:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

We go through these minor things together. I can't tell you to save the smaller bulbs. I save most everything and when I find what I want, is a small pleasure. :)
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I have saved some, but I've had it for over 4 years, that's three packs as of this last spring. I didn't figure I needed to save any more since I've yet to find a use for the first ones I saved. Of course after I've thrown away a few more, I will doubtless find a perfect use, but I'll need more than I've saved, if only I just had kept them all... I'm a borderline hoarder with all the stuff I keep, but I try to keep it in check.

And I also have gas lawn Mower, but that Honda motor (and associated parts) seems quite happy with straight pump gas, it's never give me any troubles. And I use the same gas can for both.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

IT is 80 miles+ for me. I fear that one source will succumb to overreach creep. Burned out machines on one hand and maintaining on the other. Then electricity is going up while standards for lawns remain the same.
It is Almost like....a situation where it becomes uncontrollable . That way the county or government has the equipment with catalytic co nverters or whatever and DO your property with cameras taking note of everything. The information is stored as future reasons to do something else. I don't trust it for a minute, especially now. The end of time approaching and some newbie gov kid has the job to lay the boom some homeowner for slightly tall timothy.
The answer is, of course, that nobody owns anything. It doesn't matter your sweat and expenditure. Your taxes fed into this monster. We built it and thought it meant security but there is NO security when Law Enforcement is attacked and the laws are rewritten.
Sorry you already know this stuff. You really shouldn't.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Yes, primer bulbs...what a PIA...my Honda tiller has one of those Caplugs, the little red plastic caps that come on new hydraulic lines or fuel injection pumps to keep dirt out...I have thousands of those plugs, & found one that fit the hole where the primer bulb rotted out. It has lasted for several years, apparently ethanol has no effect on it. Not very flexible, you have to push hard on the end of it to make it pump, but I usually only have to prime it once a year...
It's called engineering by inventory... :)
And yeah, I had to buy a new fuel tank for it last year, had a big crack down the side...
spro, I'll check out that link, thanks...
spro

Post by spro »

Before I found a kit of various primer-bulbs , I replaced the primer bulb in my 4cycle push mower with various things. First of those was a red cap off some pump and it did work awhile. It didn't prime well. The goofiest thing was using a distributer wire insulator cap. Plugged the hole with a neopreme plug and it served as a bulb for a while.
I was looking for something flexible of the right flange diameter to just mow the lawn a few times. I always thought, by evidence, the exact parts were not going to make it. All the stuff with black or red type rubber was melting away and it did eventually happen that replacements were affordable. This gets me back to Tecumseh engines. They are very good mower engines. One thing that happens, is that there is only one small bolt holding the oil filler tube. If you beat it, (under and around things) the cover gets jostled and the fill tube lifts. The "O"ring to the engine is really a square faced ring and once it is upset, oil starts collecting atop the deck. Oil is being blown around that seal. There are reasons for crankcase pressure and those should be addressed yet little things like that seal are certain way to lose oil and lose a mower.