Has anyone heard of -- or better, USED -- this stuff ??

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

PeteH

Has anyone heard of -- or better, USED -- this stuff ??

Post by PeteH »

Someone on another list posted this link:

http://www.evanscooling.com/

Apparently this stuff contains no water, and has a working temperature range of -40° F to + 375° F.

Any input ?

Thanks...
Pete in NJ
oldvan

Re: Has anyone heard of -- or better, USED -- this stuff ??

Post by oldvan »

Seems it is a solution looking for a problem.

Other discussions of it found:

Their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) states that it is 70% Ethylene Glycol and 30% Propylene Glycol with "Proprietary" corrosion inhibitors.

Glycols are flammable...Glycols also have a lower specific heat capacity than a water mix, so theoretically they would provide less cooling capacity."
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I haven't used, or even heard of Evanscooling, but I have used WaterWetter.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

Works with water, or water/antifreeze mix. Pretty popular with high performance and racing guys.
The stuff does work. We had a 5 yard LHD that had an somewhat under-designed radiator. If everything was 100% clean, it would run OK for about a month. Soon as the fins plugged up a bit, the beast would start to overheat. Couldn't really clean it well enough without removing the rad, which was a pain. One of our supervisors was familiar with the WaterWetter, so I bought about 10 gallons from Summit Racing. Mied it to the directions, and after that, if we pressure washed the radiator when the machine was in for an oil change, all was well. Used the machine for a little over a year after that, and never pulled the rad for cleaning again.

I assume the Evans works the same way.
A solution for problems that most of us don't run across I would say.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I use water wetter in every car I have owned over the past 10 years or more. Even in traffic, never had a problem with temperature.

Yea, racers will use just water and WW. That gives them maximum heat transfer.

Here's an interesting discussion:
http://hellafunctional.com/?p=629

"The heat capacity is basically how much heat energy the coolant can carry out of the engine and to the radiator. As far as carrying heat goes, water does a really good job. It’s actually one of the most effective coolants that could possibly be used. The specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol is only about 65% of water at the temperatures seen in a cooling system. That means that to cool the engine by one degree, you would need about 50% more of it than straight water. So even though you could use pure antifreeze as a coolant, or any other liquid for that matter, you would need a bigger radiator and more robust cooling system compared to one that used straight water."

Steve