Spring forward, Fall back.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

diyer

Spring forward, Fall back.

Post by diyer »

I wish I lived in Indiana or Arizona. Why? No changing the time twice a year. I go thru H~!@#$%^ twice a year, due to that. By the time I get used to the time, its time to change the time again. I finally get in my groove and then there is this knock on the door saying, "Its time to make the donuts!" It greatly effects me in many ways. In todays world, with all the throwing away and redoing the obsolete, from products to policies, I wonder why this old World War II law has hung on so long?

Arizona and Indiana have refused to alter the time. In fact, maybe the 48 other states are the only ones in the world (I'm not researching that fact before posting), who do have such laws. I've tried NOT changing my clocks time but then I miss tv shows and appointments, because I forgot that I changed it. But the irony is that if you make it stay lighter in the evening, you are also making it stay darker in the morning. What you add on later in the day you take from in the earlier part of the day, so why bother doing it, you cant fool mother nature. I swear one of these days someone is going to push the wrong button as a result. I bet if one of those actuarial bean counters did a cost analysis assessment on productivity, they would certainly find that people are less productive as a result. And what is really so stupid about it is that everyone is off work either before it turns dark or it is dark already anyway, so why bother. Every year I talk to people about it and no one seems to like it. I hope they get rid of it.
Last edited by Harold_V on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove political comments. Strictly forbidden on the board.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
Jawn

Re: Spring forward, Fall back.

Post by Jawn »

Not a fan of time change myself.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Most provinces in Canada have DST as well.
spro

Post by spro »

I used to be mildly irritated by things like this. More interesting things are happening now. It seems it will come to a point that our medical history will be known by both the IRS and outside enemies. Because, you see, the inside can't protect personal information from the outside.
It is almost as the hairs of both cross and the target is us.
It is almost like a sensitive, unprotected, server was hacked because the reports were that the sensitive records of 12 million government employees were not cracked into. There was a high password to allow the info dump. Who can possibly put this together?
It is almost like one above the law, was so comfortable reviewing this information at home for unknown purpose, was at the same time so arrogant to think that a shark that has tasted that blood, won't go after the meat for itself.
It will be dark all day or light all day and it won't be Alaska.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ha! Indiana springs forward and falls back. 40 miles East they change time zones, so they are normally an hour a head of me, and Chicago. Talk about confusing.

I have no love for the time shifts. I would rather just go with the Winter - Summer shift of daylight.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Spring forward? Fall back? "Daylight savings"? What is this weirdness?

The fools that run the AZ gov were actually talking about introducing a bill to put us on DST. Fortunately, they seem to have been embarrassed into silence by the howls of laughter and cat calls (along with less pleasant responses).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Dissenting opinion. I love DST, at least I did when the clock run my life, now retired do not care.
I was speaking with somebody in AZ and he made a good point for not having DST in AZ or any state with a similar climate. It made no difference in the morning but forced you to go home an hour early and run the AC on the hottest time of the day. I accept that, but in more temperate latitudes is actually a good thing. Europe has it.
China spans 5 time zones but has one official time, how smart is that?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Arizona tried daylight savings in the 60's.....and after one year it was canceled due to the crab & whine festival that went with it.
(I was a kid....and didn't care....) ;)

Never understood what is up with the Newfie's.....they are a half hour different than the rest of the planet. Like it's not confusing enough..... :lol:

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Man that extra hour of daylight is burning up my garden! :lol:

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
diyer

Post by diyer »

steamin10 wrote:Ha! Indiana springs forward and falls back. 40 miles East they change time zones, so they are normally an hour a head of me, and Chicago. Talk about confusing. I have no love for the time shifts. I would rather just go with the Winter - Summer shift of daylight.
I did a search one time to see who participated with dst. The search hits said that Arizona and Indiana did not. I called some IN and AZ senators offices to confirm. AZ does not participate. IN said no too. Evidently IN changed the law, or the assistants I spoke to weren't capable . . . .
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
diyer

Post by diyer »

DrDavo wrote:Man that extra hour of daylight is burning up my garden! :lol: Dave C.
That's funny, short, sweet, to the point. :lol:
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Never understood what is up with the Newfie's.....they are a half hour different than the rest of the planet. Like it's not confusing enough..... :lol:

Bill
That suits them, they're all a little off!