New member with query

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wolfgang

New member with query

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello, my name is Wolfgang and I have been perusing CHASKI for a number of years. By and large I found it amusing and informative.
I'm a member of a number of modelling clubs in south-western Ontario, Canada, and have a nicely equipped workshop in the basement where it is warm in the winter and cool and dry in the summer.

I have built a 3/4 CPR Hudson, plus model boat steam engine and Stirling Engines which had been a major pre-occupation of mine for years. Examples of my handiwork may be seen on Youtube channel "basementengineer".

My wife and I bought new digs in which I will have a larger work shop with a big window and ground level walk-out. The room has good quality wall-to-wall carpeting which I am reluctant to tear up. Here is my question:

I propose to cover the existing carpeting with sub-floor plywood, gluing all joints. Then cover this flooring with industrial quality vinyl tiles. Has anyone here experience with this? What would be the objections to this? My machinery is small scale such as you might find in a gun smith's shop. My lathe is a 10" V10P by Emco Maier.

Thanks for your opinions and / or experiences on this matter.

Wolfgang
Dave_C

Re: New member with query

Post by Dave_C »

Wolfgang,

If it were me, I would not tear out the carpet but I would "remove it". Roll it up nicely so it can be returned to use later if needed. Putting plywood over carpet and pad may flatten the pile of the carpet after years anyway.

Just my thoughts,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Cost of replacing carpet some day -vs- cost of plywood and tile to cover it all?

If water ever gets into the basement...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Lucky you! Welcome to the forum.

Not a good idea, in my opinion. Since you have not yet filled it with stuff, I would consider an epoxy seal. My unsealed concrete floor has oil, glue and paint stains all over plus the more you sweep it the more dust you pick up.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and opinions, and I agree that it is best to pull up the the wall-to-wall carpeting. The possibility of a pipe break and water seeping in between the concrete and plywood is enough to kill that option.

In fact that is what I did for my current workshop floor where I pulled up the wall-to-wall and spent considerable time and effort on cleaning off the concrete to prepare it for the industrial vinyl tiles. These have stood up remarkably well over the last 15 years.

Sooo, as soon as we take possession I'll hire someone to roll up the carpeting if possible, clean the concrete, and stick down vinyl tiles.

I wonder if I should go with black and white checkerboard pattern?

Thanks again,

Wolfgang
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Chose the color based on the ability to find the small part that seem like it tunneled into the fifth dimension.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I'll second that! I put white and I can find just about anything I drop. I had grey before, could not find anything small.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Wall to wall, no way, for trapped moisture reasons. Mold , Mildew, and buggy things.

Clean and treat the concrete floor. A new thing is to stain it with, magenta, from permanganate crystals used to recharge iron filters, ferric chloride, for a blue green effect, or copper chloride for green. When the water based chemicals dry, Industrial floor wax is rubbed into the surface, and can be renewed at intervals for seal. Way cheaper than tile, and it wont break from falling objects. If the floor is not smooth, some grinding bricks on a floor scrubber, will knock off the high spots and open the surface.

Otherwise, a light color for finding lost springs, and small screws is a bonus idea. No small patterns for the 'wheres Waldo' effect.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

The Mrs and I had another, protracted look at the place we are taking possession of on Oct.2.

It now appears, upon closer inspection, that there is parquet flooring underneath the wall-to-wall carpeting instead of plywood. The foam underpadding is in rough shape thus no great loss of getting rid of the wall-to-wall stuff.

If the parquet is in reasonable condition I am inclined to leave it and simply place the machinery on top. Really dirty work will now be carried out in the more than ample garage.

When I served my apprenticeship with Big Blue the tool room had parquet flooring that still looked pretty nice after years of abuse...

Aside, after 22 years in the current digs, the amount of stuff "too good to toss" is just un-freaking-believeable!
The place is now painted and de-cluttering is in serious progress. Hope the place sells near to what I would like...

This is definitely the LAST time I'm moving house; the next time I'll have to be carried out.

Wolfgang
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wolfgang wrote:The Mrs and I had another, protracted look at the place we are taking possession of on Oct.2.

It now appears, upon closer inspection, that there is parquet flooring underneath the wall-to-wall carpeting instead of plywood. The foam underpadding is in rough shape thus no great loss of getting rid of the wall-to-wall stuff.

If the parquet is in reasonable condition I am inclined to leave it and simply place the machinery on top. Really dirty work will now be carried out in the more than ample garage.

When I served my apprenticeship with Big Blue the tool room had parquet flooring that still looked pretty nice after years of abuse...

Aside, after 22 years in the current digs, the amount of stuff "too good to toss" is just un-freaking-believeable!
The place is now painted and de-cluttering is in serious progress. Hope the place sells near to what I would like...

This is definitely the LAST time I'm moving house; the next time I'll have to be carried out.

Wolfgang
I understand about moving after many years stationary. My Wife and I are just finishing a 3-month dig-out of our home of 28 years, raising two sons there also. And we've been using quality contractors to prep it for sale: Refinishing the oak hardwood floors, painting everything, redoing anything that looks worn. Since February, we've also been building at the home we are moving to. After so many months of work we are READY to sell and move on. It goes on sale October 1st. Whew!

My new 6-car garage+shop is R-19 insulated, with sealed, rebar-reinforced 4" concrete slab floors. It will handle the new 14-40 lathe and knee mill that I get to acquire this winter. Plus my existing machinery. Yea! We plan to leave this place in boxes. The Last Home.
I wish you a similar New Chapter.
~RN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Not to be snotty, but you measure a shop by 6 bays, since cars dont reside there... :lol:

I have been told that I need to clean my garage. I know how to have a clean garage, DONT OWN ANYTHING!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Well, we took possession last Friday; glad this went well.

Yesterday we rolled up the carpet in the "new" workshop and, as I suspected, there is parquet flooring on the concrete floor below the wall-to-wall stuff. (this is a ground-level walk-out basement).

Unfortunately, there is a problem. I suspect that the basement as originally constructed was too cold, and one of the previous owners had heating ducts installed in the concrete floor! Of course I noticed the floor heating ducts when we originally viewed the place but, we assumed that they were cast-in-place then the floor was poured.

The channels for the heating duct re-fitting were jack-hammered into the concrete floor and subsequently covered with plywood of the same thickness as the parquet, and fastened in place with concrete nails.

Sooo, my choices, as I see them, are as follows:

1) Leave everything in place and glue 1/4" thick sub-floor plywood on top using construction adhesive. Then put vinyl tiles on top of this.

2) Rip everything off with an ice scraper or garden edger, glue 7/16" or 9/16" thick wafer board on the bare concrete floor covering the channels for the heating ducts, and glue vinyl tiles on top.

The heating channels are, perhaps, 12" wide so covering these is not a problem. The sub-floor sheeting has tongue and groove jointing I think, making for solid joints.

Time is of the essence now and I would welcome your renewed thoughts and ideas.

Examination of the wood parquet shows no indication of water problems as there is a pronounced down-hill slope 10 or so feet behind the house.

Thanks again for your ideas/concerns.

Wolfgang