Sirius or HD Radio?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Sirius or HD Radio?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I know there are a lot of old guys here, but I will ask anyway: if I get a new car stereo, and I have to choose between Sirius capability and HD radio, which do I want? I'm thinking the Sirius option is better. I am never going to get audiophile-quality sound in a vehicle.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
TomB

Re: Sirius or HD Radio?

Post by TomB »

I have a attachment XM/Sirious that I move from car to truck and back depending upon what I'm driving. Generally I drive lot and could not stand it without the choices satellite radio affords. There is only two problem that come up (only one of which is applicable to a builtin) (1) if the vehicle does not have an aux input then the box becomes a little transmitter and the car radio receives it. If I am driving in a city it can be hard to find a frequency that is not otherwise used. (2) if you are driving in hilly or mountainous areas and you are on the east side of a big hill/steep mountain the radio will blank out while its line of sight is obstructed. Typically is only lasts for a minute or so but Rt 30 in VT is obstructed for a good part of its length.

Tom
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think I'm going to go for the Sirius radio. I don't think I'll subscribe, but that could change, and HD radio seems worthless.

I'm also giving up the backup camera I thought was so important when I got my truck.

I bought a pricey Clarion DVD player so I could have DVD audio, a backup camera, and on-screen Ipod control. Piece by piece, the receiver crapped out over time. My truck has a single-DIN dash, so I got a receiver with a screen that rolls out. It died a few days ago, and when the screen gets messed up, the whole stereo is wrecked.

I realize I don't miss the backup camera and because of the Ipod, I don't need DVD audio. I guess I'll save some $$$ this time around.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
6mmBR

Post by 6mmBR »

Sat radio is my choice. I have one in each vehicle we have, plus a hand-held model I've had since 2006. That one moves around the place; garage, computer room, wherever I need it. I used to use that one in my company truck, but I'm now retired.

HD radio is spotty, and no doubt filled with commercials. The sound is good, though.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If the background noise in your car is 70db, and the signal to noise ratio of the receiver is 90db, you won't be able to hear the noise from the receiver until the volume is high enough that your ears bleed.

Steve
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I know this is an old thread but after my experience dealing with Sirius I resolved to never do business with them. They are dishonest, misleading and all around badgering and pushy. Their customer service seems designed to aggravate rather that solving problems. They have been under scrutiny by the government due to questionable marketing tactics.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I had a bad experience with XM radio and I think they cheated me out of a year of service. But it's my word against one of their salesman, who I do not know hide nor hair about and whom they can not or will not name.