Windows 7 ,8, and 10 hmm..

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

Windows 7 ,8, and 10 hmm..

Post by ken572 »

(ALL) :roll:

- - - - - -
It’s not just Windows 10,
Windows 7 and 8 are also tracking you,
(here’s how to stop them.)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/not-just-w ... 50762.html
- - - - - -

Enjoy. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
hammermill

Re: Windows 7 ,8, and 10 hmm..

Post by hammermill »

and all this time I thought it was the guy in the hedge with field glasses :lol:
stevec

Post by stevec »

I'd like to know WHY I (or anyone) would want to move up(?) to Windows 10 ?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....that's truly depressing......

Still prefer my old XP over my Win 7. Didn't touch 8. Plan on ignoring 10 exists too.

Next time I upgrade, it may be time to look at a Mac again.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Well....that's truly depressing......

Still prefer my old XP over my Win 7. Didn't touch 8. Plan on ignoring 10 exists too.

Next time I upgrade, it may be time to look at a Mac again.

Bill
I've followed the advice of the computer scientist/engineer who managed the creation of the first banking computer ("ERMA") in the 1950s for Bank of America, and was also the founder of the University of Washington (Seattle) Computer Science Department.

When he retired and purchased his first computer, it was an Apple Macintosh. And that's all he ever purchased and preferred to use until he died at age 82!
'Said Macs embodied the ease and simplicity of use, and reliability, that He and his Team dreamed about, all those decades earlier.

Look at the routing and account numbers on the bottom of your bank checks:
The strange shaped characters were developed by this same person for the first machine character recognition using magnetic ink, in the mid-1950s. They habitually remain today, but optically recognized!

And people ask me why I build steam locomotives!
~RN
stevec

Post by stevec »

I may go the Mac route, as my wife has done since home computing started. It's just the "male thing" about learning from our wives (although we don't admit to ) doing it every day.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

There were lots of usability things I didn't like about Vista, but there were some technologies introduced that were great. I had no issues with Win 7. I hated the Win8 tile/tablet/touch UI garbage, but once I figured out how to unscrew that (back to the classic desktop, but the integrated search was nice), at it's core it was a great OS that resolved most of the UAC issues. Win 8.1 was better still as it provided automatically what I was forced to modify W8 to provide. Very satisfied with W8.1. And frankly, I've only got it running on one VM so far, but I really do like W10 at this point.

And for the record, I work with computers day in and day out, generally 10 or so hours a day. My main machine runs anywhere from 3 to 8 interactive Virtual machines at any given moment depending on what I'm doing. There have been some issues with each new OS, but the main problem most people have seems to be that they don't like anything different than what they know. I have the same initial reaction, but recognize it for what it is and work through it. My mother recently had the same reaction going from a Motorola phone to an LG. Both running Android of approximately the same version, the only difference being the manufacturer package, both on Verizon, but she just hated that new phone for the first few weeks because things didn't look the same. And MS certainly does take the hit for (seemingly) moving things just to be moving them, but like anything else, once you get used to the change it's not a problem. And the benefits for me certainly outweigh the effort required to adapt. But your average user is unlikely to notice much of the really positive difference behind the scenes, so the functional change impression dominates, and everybody hates on the latest version. <shrug>
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh, and personally I have hated Macintosh since they were a little square box that sat on the desk. Now that the main part of the heart is basically Linux, at least they are more tolerable, but I'm just not a fan of the straight-jacket UI. However, I do understand the appeal for folks who "just want to get on with it" with the same level of configurability (and consistency) you get when buying a new car. But even my mother gets on just fine with Windows at the same involvement/competency level as she would with a Mac, and we were talking just last night about updating her to Win10.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper