Q: What chemical bonds rubber to metal the strongest?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Q: What chemical bonds rubber to metal the strongest?

Post by liveaboard »

I use sikaflex for that sort of thing. It's a polymer gloop with isocyanate in it. It comes in big tubes [like silicone mastic] and is available at marine supply stores here in Europe, and some hardware stores.
I don't know if it's available in the US.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Black Max

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product- ... 7890609153

You probably won't like the price though...but it works.

I'm not so sure about the "just rip it off with pliers", though.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Burnt Shellac! It was (and still is) used as head gasket cement. You can buy it as a commercial product such as Indian brand Head Gasket Cement....or you can just make your own. Take some amber shellac and put it in an old empty and clean metal can. Set it on fire with a match and burn off the alcohol until you have a thick brown sticky goo.
I use this all the time to adhere rubber to metal and metal to wood in pipe organ rebuilding work.

Keith
diyer

Post by diyer »

jcfx wrote:Part of your problem is i. . . You don't mention what specifically the item actually is . . .
I choose not to. I would like to but that often leads to not getting an answer
Last edited by diyer on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
MariaPinto

Post by MariaPinto »

I've always had good luck with super glue, as mentioned, cleanliness is of prime importance. You can buy decent super glue though, the Loctite brand seems to work well.
diyer

Post by diyer »

Well, so far here is the list of adhesives that were recommended:

Silicones
Contact cement
Super glue
PC-7 epoxy
Shoe Goo
Cyanoacrylate crazy glue
Black Max (this adhesive was recommended twice)
Goop
Rubber cement
Poly Seam Seal
Sikaflex
Burnt Shellac

Sometimes I wish I didn't get as many replies. Has me going in circle wondering which one to pick. Perhaps I should throw a dart at the list and see which one it lands on. Perhaps any one of them will work -- not a critical but rather standard app neoprene to metal. Not to sound ungrateful but I don't care much for product or brand recommendations. I come here to learn, so, discussions of the physics are more enjoyable. I think I learnt more about physics here than anywhere else on the Internet. OMG, some of those automotive boards are so filled with nonsense in comparison. But at any rate, READ the title again: "What chemical bonds rubber to metal. . . . " -- Not what product does

But thanks for all the replies anyway. Not sure what I will try. Probably whatever I have on hand. I guess I will do check the msds for the ones recommended and see if I have any of those chemicals on hand.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
gogreen2023

Post by gogreen2023 »

You can use synthetic rubber adhesive or silicone-based adhesive for neoprene-to-metal bonding for cured rubber. However, the best way is using "chemlock" Lord's make but it is used for uncured rubber.
Joy, :)
Rubber technologist
www.rubbersheetindia.co.in