VETERANS' DAY 2015

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

VETERANS' DAY 2015

Post by Steggy »

This is a reprint of a post I made somewhere else a few years ago.
————————————————————————————————————————
VETERANS' DAY 2012

Here in the USA, today is Veteran's Day, on which day we pause to reflect on what our veterans and active duty military personnel have done and are doing to defend our way of life.

This Veterans' Day is poignant for me because a man who I considered to be a father-figure and mentor passed away earlier this year. This gentleman, "Ralph", was a World War II veteran who joined the U.S. Army at age 17, right out of high school. Following basic training, he was assigned to the newly-formed Eighth Air Force and flew many missions over Europe, primarily as a waist gunner aboard B-17s and B-24s. The word "dangerous" didn't even start to describe what young airmen like Ralph were assigned to do.

Ralph's baptism of fire came on the very first mission he flew when his plane was hit by 20mm cannon fire from a German ME-109. His buddy, who was manning the port waist gun, was killed before his eyes. Their crippled B-17, badly shot up and with two engines out, somehow remained airworthy and made it back to England with one man dead and another gravely wounded. Ralph was but 18 years old when this happened.

Following the end of the war, Ralph went to school on the GI bill and then was hired by a major supplier to the railroad industry, where he would work until retirement. I met Ralph in the 1970s when his company hired me. He was the only boss I had there until he retired.

Ralph was a gruff, but patient man whose wartime experiences obviously shaped his outlook on life and approach to getting things done. I had a lot of book knowledge when I went to work for him nearly 41 years ago, but not a lot of "life knowledge" or sense of purpose. He changed all that, treated me almost like a son and got me headed in the right direction. He and I often worked together in the field on a variety of projects, and it was a learning experience for both of us, as I believe I was the closest thing to a son that he ever had (his wife and he raised two daughters).

It was only after Ralph retired that I learned the full extent of his experiences during World War II, many of them related to me over endless cups of coffee. He was definitely one of what we refer to as "The Greatest Generation," whose ranks, unfortunately, have been greatly thinned by the ravages of time and old age. His wife passed away a few years ago after some 63 years of marriage. And now Ralph is gone.

If you know a World War II or Korean War veteran and have the opportunity to thank him or her for his or her service, or better yet, to sit down with them and talk for a while, DO IT! The opportunity may be gone before you realize. The experiences that these men and woman went through are excellent food for thought, and help each of us to understand that the freedom that we all enjoy as citizens of the United States has come at a sobering price, a price paid with the lives of very brave people.
Stars and Strips Forever!
Stars and Strips Forever!
animflag.gif (6.43 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
Last edited by Steggy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
10KPete

Re: VETERANS' DAY 2015

Post by 10KPete »

Amen to that. My Dad did his service in the Pacific on PT boats. Blessings to all of them.

Pete
Just tryin'
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

Thank You to ALL Veterans. We are free because you kept most of the crazies on the other side of the the ocean.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

mikeehlert wrote:Thank You to ALL Veterans. We are free because you kept most of the crazies on the other side of the the ocean.
Unfortunately, we seem have plenty of home-grown crazies that are as much a danger to us as the foreign ones.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

I agree.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

My Father also served. He was a SeaBee. Jumped on a LST took 3 months to get to Guadacanal, when they were 1 or 2 months away the Japs surrendered. Somebody has to be last. He was ashamed to admit the truth, I found out after His death. He went and did all They asked, no dishonor there. The happenstance of a birth date.
spro

Post by spro »

The happenstance of a birth date allowed you to be with us. I can't know how this works. We see it as good.
spro

Post by spro »

Veterans' Day is our day. We are the ones who reap the earth of the soil filled with blood of our own ancestors. Allies respect the graves of our fallen as if they are theirs. Special MEN, fighting Army, Marines, Navy and The Air Force.
I was all into army and tanks as little kid. I still am. Dad cut right through it. He told me, command of the air, is the winner. He was Air Force. He was all ready and was.... something else was, before him. He saw Hiroshima and Nagasaki in ways we never think. Aftermath yet required. How. WHY. ? Politics and a cult. A cult to us, at that time yet extremely precious to the People of Nippon or Japan.
This actually does tie back to You, I and many Friends and allies.
There is a reason that the essence of intelligence and engineering survive through this and other upheavals.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It shall be noted that upon a trip to Hawaii, my Cousin now passed did the tourist thing, and wound up on the Arizona. As he gazed out over the sunken wreck, he noticed that nearly the entire tour that came out was Asian, and more than that Japanese. He was struck by the fact that as these short, and finely dressed retirees, stood about, there was barely a dry eye in the house. The emotions, and memories so strikingly apparent on their faces. Many were second generation to that conflict. So it speaks to me of common sentiments, and basic connections.

I have some relations, cut down in the Sand Pits and Asian jungles. Truly a day to honor their memories.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.