Spray Product for Fogging Plastic Skylights?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Spray Product for Fogging Plastic Skylights?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wonder if I could fix it. I hate to do that. Any roofer who can't keep a skylight from leaking needs a good slap.

I really don't want to do roofing.

If I could fasten a couple of arced bits of flashing to the tiles above the skylights, maybe they would divert the flow around them. I would need some sheet aluminum and a rivet gun, plus whatever adhesive will attach aluminum to tile and not go bad from UV exposure.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

There is no flashing on these things. They are boxes which sit on paper. There is tar or some other adhesive between the paper and the boxes. They used tar and some kind of fabric to cover the joint between the box and the roof. I call the adhesive "tar" because it's black, but the roofer called it mastic.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Properly done, flashing will prevent leaks. This is how it should be done, and this according to a guy that does it for a living.
If there's no flashing...., or little flashing, and used only paper and goop....you will have problems.

Relying on sealer, of any kind, is a temporary fix at best.

I just went through all this last week.
I've done enough temporary fixes, and we have an average rainfall of 8" p/year. What do you have....like 60"?

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

well now steve you can see how it should be done. mastic in my book is tar with fiber in it( used to be asbestos) not sure what is used now. on a new job I would be inclined toward butyl caulk like is used on glue in windshields but by your description its going to leak

the whole idea id don't provide a path way for water to wick under and up

leaks that occur with wind are really a headache because the wind is blowing across the structure and creating a vacuum on the downwind side sucking water up and in to the house.