Spray Product for Fogging Plastic Skylights?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Spray Product for Fogging Plastic Skylights?

Post by SteveHGraham »

My dad has two skylights in the roof of his den. They're some kind of clear tinted plastic. The lens in each one is around 3 feet long and 1 foot wide. A roofing company replaced them recently because of a leak.

He is flipping out because the clear lenses let bright light hit his desk.

He is 83 and not the most rational person at this point. He seems to think he can force the roofers to put new lenses in free of charge. I think he would have better luck trying to have a baby with Caitlyn Jenner. They are not going to give him free skylights.

It looks likely that I will have to fix this.

I looked at the lights. They have aluminum frames which are bolted down to aluminum boxes sealed to the roof. It should be possible to take them off using a wrench. I'm thinking I'll find something I can spray the insides of the lenses with. I want something that will diffuse light without blocking it.

Can anyone give me a guess as to what type of spray product would stick to the lenses and give the desired result? I don't want something that will peel off and rain paint chips on him.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Re: Spray Product for Fogging Plastic Skylights?

Post by BadDog »

I think anything translucent is going to be very difficult to apply evenly enough for uniform results.

Who chose the replacements? Surely they didn't just pick something at random, or because it was cheaper, and expect it to be acceptable? Didn't they have a clear goal? If it was "fix the leak", and in doing so they replaced the skylights with something different and unacceptable based on their choice rather than the client, then they messed up and should replace them. I'm no lawyer, but if they were tasked with fixing a leak and changed things without approval I wouldn't put up with it. I would be going back on the insurance and the contractor to put it back the way it was. Now, if he was asked and agreed, or was otherwise involved in the decision, then it becomes a make do or pay up process.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The leak is a different issue. The original skylights were installed badly. They leaked. He just got new ones. The new ones are too bright for him.

He asked about different lenses when he got the new ones, and they claimed they weren't available. Whether that is true or not, I could not tell you. I know frosted skylights exist. On the other hand, for all I know, the hurricane issues down here limit the selection. The ones he just bought appear to be double-paned. Not that a dome is a pane, but whatever the terminology is.

I may just let him negotiate directly. That will provide them with tremendous motivation to make him happy.

It would be nice, once in a while, to hire someone, write a check, and not have to chase around behind them to get the job finished correctly.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

look at this product http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-S ... lsrc=aw.ds

will keep the drones from peaking in
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I had no idea there was paint made for this purpose. Thanks. That may be a life saver.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:I had no idea there was paint made for this purpose. Thanks. That may be a life saver.
Don't get all warm and fuzzy with this product. It makes no mention of being satisfactory for use on plastic, although it may be ok. Check before you apply, as plastics don't always tolerate solvents and may fail once coated.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would not use it without checking, but thanks. As it turns out, the label doesn't say anything about plastic. Maybe I can get info from the manufacturer.

I don't know what kind of plastic he has, either. I really do not want to go on the roof to read labels.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Most likely heat formed Polycarbonate. Somewhere Monsanto has a site with engineering information.

Yes they are double sealed panels, most likely NO2 filled to prevent fog. You might consider shades that are transluscent, all the rage in some places. An operator pole can open and close the shades for varying light levels. Google Skylight Shades and go blind. (another pun?) Sorry.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

SteveHGraham wrote:The leak is a different issue. The original skylights were installed badly. They leaked. He just got new ones. The new ones are too bright for him.
Ahh, I see, that certainly changes things.
SteveHGraham wrote:I may just let him negotiate directly. That will provide them with tremendous motivation to make him happy.
Good plan, and that would be my first plan of attack. Who knows, maybe it will resolve without your direct involvement.
SteveHGraham wrote:It would be nice, once in a while, to hire someone, write a check, and not have to chase around behind them to get the job finished correctly.
Yes, I've struggled with that lately. My wife and mother (among others) keeps saying how I should "just hire someone" to do whatever my current boondoggle may be. My response is that most of the time I spend more time fighting with them to "do it right", or redoing it myself, I might as well just do it myself the first time and cut out all the aggravation. I've now managed to put together a fairly short list of dependable folks who do good work for a fair price, so it's getting better, but still struggling. Good luck.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

It may not help in Your situation but, a family member has seizure problems triggered with fluorescent lights. Their last old timey shade for their bathroom cabinet broke letting the evil bright light loose. Could not find a replacement (thanks Sears) took a pair of plain ones and lightly sandblasted the interior. works well problem solved.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

2 +2 carburetor cleaner works great for fogging plastic, especially when you don't want it to..
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

But on the serious side, home depo sells a vinyl product that is like a glue less window tint that would fix you right up.
It also comes in colors to resemble stained glass.