Garage Door Insulation Kit Experience?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Garage Door Insulation Kit Experience?

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I am considering buying an "Insulfoam" Kit for my metal sectional roll-up garage doors from Lowes. These consist of Styrofoam-type panels that you cut to fit and then tuck into the main rails on an uninsulated garage door. No adhesive is required, and they have a hard face on the exposed side. These are not soft fiberglass bats.

Does anybody have any experience with these to share? Thanks!
Kimball
SteveHGraham

Re: Garage Door Insulation Kit Experience?

Post by SteveHGraham »

When you post a question on an Internet forum, you never get the answer you were hoping for.

Here is an example.

I do not have that kit. I do have the fiberglass kit from the pink fiberglass people. It works very well, but it really needs tape instead of the crazy plastic things that hold the fiberglass on. Lowers noise and keeps it cool in here.

This information will be useless unless you decide to go with the pink stuff, but since that's a possibility, I figured I'd toss it in.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I've not seen a kit but I did my sectional roll-ups with foam panels from the lumber yard. Foil faced. Cut them to size
and wedged them in the lips around the edges. Works great. Made a huge difference in the shop temperature both
summer and winter.

Pete
Just tryin'
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Never bought the kit. I bought 3/4 aluminum skinned panels, and cut them to fit. They were stitched in place with some dabs of clear silicone from a caulk gun. They dont move, and the reflective panels wash light back into the space.

Silver aluminum tape can be used to seal off any ends or gaps. Find that in the duct and furnace filter department.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

also consider the need to adjust the springs to balance the additional weight.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The silver skinned insulation I used is very light, cuts by scoring with a razor knife, and I can work it all myself. Really saves the temp changes in this clime.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

You could also use spray foam insulation.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, but the pressurized spray kits are over $100 here, the foam ina can sucks, unless you are filling a box, so I used the sheet stuff. It is light, available in thicknesses to 1.5 inch here, and is easy to work. The guy that dressed my deer built an 8x8 room with simple sparse framework, and hung an AC window unit. He can hold 20+ deer for cutting up. A 16 foot metal door takes 4 sheets, since most panels run about 22 inchs wide.