Why People Prefer Imperial to Metric

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Why People Prefer Imperial to Metric

Post by SteveHGraham »

Okay, time for more conflict and angst: what about manufacturers who are too lazy to make true metric or imperial stuff? How many 12mm wrenches are really half-inch with a different stamp on them?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Okay, time for more conflict and angst: what about manufacturers who are too lazy to make true metric or imperial stuff? How many 12mm wrenches are really half-inch with a different stamp on them?
None.

13mm maybe....but not 12mm.

8)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You think they're putting "12mm" on 13mm wrenches? That would be pretty slippery.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:You think they're putting "12mm" on 13mm wrenches? That would be pretty slippery.
Too many cocktails with the turkey Steve?

:lol:
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Well, think about it. After some black coffee.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Well, think about it. After some black coffee.
We have got to get you off the nog Steve......

You can more often than not use a 13mm or a 1/2" wrench on either a M8 or a 5/16" capscrew, although sometimes the 1/2" wrench will be a bit tight.
Doesn't work that way with 12mm & 1/2".

Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You can use a 1/2" wrench on 12mm. You can't use it on 13mm.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:You can use a 1/2" wrench on 12mm. You can't use it on 13mm.
Disagree.....
In most cases, you CAN use a 1/2" wrench on a 13mm. I've been doing it for years.....a lot.....often.....including day before yesterday on my band saw. .
Sometimes it's a snug fit, and sometimes you run across one that the 1/2" wrench or a socket that won't fit.....although, I've been in a pinch with a close fit and tapped 'em together.

On a 12mm.....awful lotta looseness going on. A 12mm hex is .474"/.480" (ISO std)
Pretty poor fit to a 1/2" wrench. Better not be tight.

An open end 1/2" wrench is .504"/.510" (ANSI std) Cheap ones tend to be oversize.....
13mm hex is .501"/.512", (again, ISO spec) most tend to be at the smaller end of the tolerance, which goes for most imperial fasteners as well, which is why more often than not, the 1/2" wrench fits the 13mm hex.

Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't know, man. That seems like a lot of research to back up something you said while the Pink Ladies were in effect. I don't think a manufacturer would sell a restamped wrench that goes over MOST 13mm hexes. It would be a real bummer, knowing that all of the "13mm" wrenches you sold were likely to come back as returns. Even Harbor Freight might hesitate.

But in reality, it seems like it usually goes the other way, with metric stuff relabeled SAE. I will admit, I didn't actually get out the calipers and measure wrenches and fasteners prior to commenting. It was more like I was killing time while waiting for the pain of eating 5 pounds of food to subside.

If you want to argue some more, I'll run down to the liquor store. I'll see if they have Capt. Morgan's rum with a Robertson-drive cap.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

When you get the Capt'n Morgan, pick up some apple cider too.
A shot a Morgan, a cup of cider, nuke in microwave for 1 minute.....and you have something that's good for what ails ya. :D

I didn't measure anything....the numbers are what I have in my computer. Collected when I was measuring and testing a hardware several years ago, for approval.....or in some cases....NOT.

If someone was to want to make a wrench that fits both, and brand them one way or another, or both....13mm to 1/2" would be one of the easy ones. As it is, 19mm & 3/4" are interchangeable. (Do the math)

To make a 'fits both' wrench, the open end would be measures .513/.514" wide. That's the bottom end or .001' over on the ISO spec for a 13mm open end, and .001"/.002" over the max ANSI spec for a 1/2". Close as many wrenches are made. I can go measure a dozen different brands if ya like....I have many.

1/2" wrench compared to a 12mm hex would be .020" to .026" loose, assuming the wrench measure .500".
If I had a wrench that I bought that was that loose, I would take it back.

No argument......

:)
Bill
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

let us not forget the universal wrench sets as seen on tv. ah the confusion of it all. where is the humanity.
spro

Post by spro »

The only things are that 17mm is close to 5/8" and 19mm is 3/4" . 8mm is close to 5/16" but usually good quality tools don't allow this. Often, however, a worn out hex or 12pt will actually fit a worn metric. It may be the last thing it does and that's better than nothing. One thing is 10mm and we have many of them for a reason. octal day.
Last edited by spro on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.